Chapter 21: Appreciation

Art by me!

————————————

The afternoon was quiet. Cold yet sunny, though no one really seemed in the mood to talk. Especially what happened yesterday.

Mae came down the stairs, sighing to herself.

"How is he?" The neighbor asked, standing by the door.

"He's still not talking to me. I know he's awake but he just doesn't want to talk. He doesn't anything either, whenever I ask.." Mae said, seeming disappointed.

"That's alright. His mother is coming today."

"Oh really?" Spooky asked, looking back from tv show she was watching. Freddy, Cuphead, Mugman, Tattletail, Hat kid and the Follower looked as well. Everyone else was in their rooms or somewhere else.

"Yes his mother is coming. I called her yesterday and told her everything and she's coming to see Kris. I told her if he wants to leave, he can.."

Mae's chest sank.

"What?! No! He can't leave!" Spooky exclaimed.

"That's up to Kris sadly.."

Everyone felt sadden. But after all that's happened, they wouldn't be surprised if Kris would want to leave. The thought made Mae's chest hurt.

Flowey was in his flower pot as usual, hearing the whole conversation. He didn't say anything. He just kept his non-existent feelings to himself.

^^^^^^

Minutes went by and Kris' mother arrived at the driveway. She got out of the car and entered the house.

"Thank you for coming Mrs. Dreemurr." The neighbor said as Toriel came through the door.

"Of course. Thank you for letting me be aware about this." She sounded a bit frantic, but tried her best to hide it.

"You're welcome. He should be upstairs, follow me." The neighbor lead Toriel to Kris' room upstairs.

Everyone watched them disappear up the stairs, including Mae who decided to join them on the couch. Once the two were gone, they turned back around till Freddy caught sight of Flowey, looking in the direction of the stairs.

His eyes were swelled up with tears. Freddy took notice of this and was about to get the flower's attention, when he disappeared into the flowerpot.

The bear sighed, turning back around to the tv.

Meanwhile, the neighbor and Tori had reached the room.

"He's here." The neighbor stated. He stood back, letting Toriel knock to get the boy's attention.

No response.

Kris was in his bed, ignoring the knock. The curtains remained closed, blocking out the sun.

Toriel knocked again, opening the door slightly.

"My child?" She called out.

Kris immediately sat up as her heard his mother's voice.

"Mom?" He whimpered.

His eyes didn't feel void of crying anymore as he felt his eyes tear up. Toriel opened the door and practically came running in to hug her son, who spared no time in getting out of his covers to hug her back.

The neighbor closed the door quietly and headed downstairs, leaving the two for some privacy.

Toriel sat on the bed, hugging her child with so much love that only a mother could give. Kris sobbed as he continued to hug her right back, not wanting to let go. After a few minutes, Toriel broke the hug to look at Kris. She cupped his face gently, taking a long look at him.