Chapter 3

Julius POV

Everything was silent for a minute.

That's a lie...

There was this insistent ringing... My hears were ringing. Right...the car...explosion...mate... MATE! I push myself up fighting off the dizziness and the sound came rushing in all at once. There were screams everywhere and guns being shot. Flames were blazing violently where our car once stood. I look around frantically. I had her in my hold just before the explosion. Where was she?

I hear someone coughing nearby. Careful of the bullet's flying around me I follow the sound. I found her laying on a pile of burning rumble. She was still dazed from the blast, but that didn't stop her from kicking up a storm when I grabbed her.

The tingles were electrifying at first touch. Romeo had tried explaining what it had been like when I asked him once, but he always had trouble putting it to words.

"It's like the world shifts beneath your feet. Nothing else matters, just her. And you know that she is the one for you."

These were his exacts words.

I laughed in his face.

Yeah well...I'm not laughing now. Karma is a fucking bitch. And the Moon Goddess must have lost all her marbles because there is no way in hell she considers a fucking HUNTER my mate. No way. Nope. Not happening. I refuse to even consider it. Even if she is hot.

I try holding on to her, but she takes me by surprise when she elbows me in the face and gets free of my hold. Now, in any other day, that would not have been enough for me to lose my hold on her, but as it happens my head was still spinning a little bit, and my control over my balance was not as it normally is. So a hit like that? I saw fucking stars.

I groan at the pain and take a second to get my baring's together.

I see movement from the corner of my eye and duck on instinct. A bullet came flying exactly where my head used to be. I attack the shooter, in a series of quick movements. He never had the time to react. When he realised what was happening, my hands where already on his neck, a second later, he was dead.

"I'll take that for you." I can't help but speak as I remove his gun from his hold. I check the bullets and although there weren't many of them left, I could still do some damage to the bastards. I place the gun in position and start making my way as silently as I could in the direction my mate ran off to.

Night had come already, giving me an advantaged in the field since werewolves could see perfectly in the dark. I pass by the bodies of fellow werewolves, always checking to see if anyone of them were alive. No luck so far. I don't even bother checking the fallen hunters. The fight had apparently been moved deeper into the forest. I could hear the occasional scream and bullet flying. I shoot two hunters on my way, but I am jumped from behind, making me loose the weapon on the forest floor.

I immediately defend myself against the threat. This hunter was a trained one, but so was I. He manages to put in a good couple of punches in the beginning as I laid in the ground, but I manage to throw him off me, pushing him backwards far enough for me to grab a piece of log next to me and hit him straight in the skull.

I stand up properly and look down at him on the ground, spitting the blood on my mouth to the ground.