Chapter 7

Hayley's POV

Julius didn't take long to come back, this time with shorts on.

He proceeded by making some kind of paste that he then spread on the bullet wound on my leg. According to him it's an herbal remedy supposed to stop infecting from happening.

For the next three days we didn't speak much besides the necessary. In a way I found myself repeating our argument in my head over and over again, and asking myself asking questions I never made before. Questions who perhaps were always there, tucked in, in the back of my head, but I never gave them much thought, until now that is. And I hated that. I hated that I was asking this questions. I hated that I was rethinking everything that I knew, that I have been taught. Because as much as I hated to admit it, Julius had made some good points. The human race wasn't perfect, it had it's good and bad people, but...what if it was the same with werewolves. What if some of them are good and we just assume that all are bad? Aren't we being prejudiced towards the species? No....I shake my head trying to clear these thoughts from my head. Werewolves are bad. Always have been and always will be. There is no changing that. I have had more than enough proof about that, my own brother Ollie, 23 and dead already. Killed by a werewolf. Mauled in such a way we had to have his casket closed during the funeral. Father insisted on it, so not to traumatize my mother. My now dead mother. Not werewolves fault surprisingly, a bottle full of pills did the job for them. She took my brother's death very hard.

"Do you even know where you are going?" I ask Julius already fed up with walking randomly for days, no destination in sight.

"I have a good idea." he responds not pausing his rhythm.

"Yeah, because that is so reassuring..."I murmur to myself.

It was getting dark already so we needed to make camp soon. The nights were getting colder every night we spend outside. I have no idea how Julius handles walking without a shirt on during the day and night and not freeze to death, even at night when we fall asleep, he is like a furnace. I'm pretty sure I would have hypothermia by now if it wasn't for him. Sometimes those werewolves' genes of his came in quite handy.

Out of nowhere Julius pauses and sniffs the air. Surprisingly I stopped finding that weird. Although he always reminded me of a dog when he did that. Usually it's nothing but today he tensed up.

"What is it?" I ask him, noticing his tense posture.

"I smell food." he says

"You mean like a dear or..." I guess I can never know with his kind. God knows what they consider food.

"Cooked food." he rectifies "And I hear the sound of people talking"

"Hunters?" I ask interested

"No... I don't think so. They sound old...older at least." he specifies "There must be a house nearby."

"That's great! We can ask for shelter and finally eat a decent meal." I say starting to walk in the direction he was sniffing at. "Forest floor has not been kind to my back."

He stops me by grabbing me arm.

"We can't go there. We'll be putting them in danger by just showing up. We could attract the hunters right to their front door." he says serious

I roll my eyes at him.

"Hunters hunt werewolves, not humans. They are not going to harm them. Besides...they might have a phone. Don't you want to call somebody, have them pick you up?"

"Us. Pick US up." he corrects me

"Yeah, I don't think so. After this little crusade of ours, I am jumping ship. You go your way and I go my way." I tell him shaking my arm of his hold, and resuming my walk.