Chapter 21

Hayley's POV

We don't take too long to get home. Ever since our conversation at the market, Julius has been quiet. Contemplative. I could tell he was lost in thought, so I didn't push for conversation, although, seeing the way he is, I can't help but wonder what it is that he is going to tell me. He seems almost worried. As if he wasn't sure how I would react to what I would hear. I try to conjure dozens of theories of what it could be that he would say, but nothing felt right.

I admit it was leaving me a bit nervous. All this anticipation. But it couldn't be that bad, could it? Marianne seemed surprised when I told her that Julius called me his mate. She was convinced that Julius had to be the one to tell me what it meant. But she was smiling, so it could be that bad...could it? Marianne didn't give me that impression. And the king...the way he said it was like just because I was Julius's mate that it wouldn't guarantee my survival. At first I thought he meant it as a term of friendship, but now that I think about it, it couldn't have been it. It was something else. Something more substantial. But what? What could be that important to them? Why did "mates" meant so much to them? Why was it so important that Julius had to be the one to tell me what it meant?

"You look pretty deep in thought there." Julius comments as he places our groceries on the counter.

"I don't like being kept in the dark." I tell him

"I know." he says kindly "I promised I would answer all your questions, and I will, but first I'm going to start on our lunch and then you are free to ask me anything, alright?" he proposes

"And you will answer them all?" I check suspicious

"All that I can."

Elusive, but I could work with that. I nod in agreement.

"So, want to tell me what the menu is for today?" he asks me enthusiastically. I see him put on an apron and washing his hands next.

"Bolognese." I tell him

"Ahhh...pasta." he says with a smile "Figured it was something like that when I saw the meat you bought."

"So you can cook it?"

"I sure can." he says with a cheeky smile "Bolognese coming right up!"

He seemed to know his way around and he kept finding ways to make me laugh. It felt good to laugh. I feel as if all I've done lately is cry and be angry. So, so angry, that I felt it consumed me entirely. But there were always those moments, Julius would always be there, whether with a laugh or an inappropriate comment, but he always managed to get me out of those dark thoughts and feelings.

Somehow I started to enjoy our banter. Starting looking forward to it actually. I don't know when annoyance turned into playfulness, but I knew I wasn't giving much bite in my replies as I used to before. I enjoy bantering with him. I find myself enjoying a lot of things about him lately.

I liked how he gives as good as he gets when we banter.

I like how confident he is in himself, even when he is being beyond annoying.

I like how loving he is when he talks about his sister. How loyal and protective he is of her.

The way he stands up to me but lets me fight my battles at the same time.

I like how when he's nervous he bites or licks his lips and runs his hands through his hair constantly.

I like how he looks at me. Sometimes with such adoration and longing I feel my heart squeeze tight in my chest, but then he looks away, and then it's gone, and he throws a cheeky smile at me, that doesn't quite reach his eyes.