Chapter 29

Hayley's POV

"Remember, don't be disrespectful." Julius reminds me for the million time, as he pushes my wheelchair into the meeting room.

"I know." I respond with an eye roll "You already told me that. 10 times!"

"Yeah, well...you are not exactly subtle when it comes to these...delicate questions." he continues "In fact I don't even know why I let you talk me into coming with me in the first place! You just came out of a massive surgery! You should be resting!"

"There is no way I would miss this and as for the surgery, I am filled with drugs at the moment. I guess there are some perks to having a witch working for the king. Wow...never tought I would say that before. Trust me, I couldn't feel better than I am right now." I reassure him "And it's your own dam fault for loving me so much. You cave in to anything I want."

He snorts amused.

"True. You are just too irresistible to say no to." he says kissing my forehead. "But I am taking you back to the hospital at the first sign that you are in pain."

"Fine." I huff annoyed, but secretly loving his care for my wellbeing. No one has shown so much care since my brother. I'd forgotten what it was like. What it felt like. It's nice.

"Beta Hughes, I wasn't expecting to see you so soon after our last meeting." the King says as he walks into the room. "Although it was interrupted, so...unexpectedly." he adds diverting his eyes to me. "I trust you are doing well, Miss McKenna?"

"Oh you know...nothing like dear old dad trying to kill you to get the blood pumping, am I right?" I ask sarcastically "That, and I'm currently high on drugs so I couldn't feel better."

"Good for you." he responds not dropping his serious facade, but was that amusement he was trying to conceal? Maybe...I knew he would grow to like me. "Now, is there a reason for this visit? I thought we had discussed everything in our last meeting?"

"Yes, sir. New...evidence has come to light and we could use your help to shed some light to it." Julius

"And what can I help you with, today?" he asks curious leaning back on the couch. Never losing his intimidating royal posture.

"Do you remember of any incident revolving around your father and a fellow wolf of your pack?" Julius asks directly

The King immediately tensed, the cold look in his eyes intensified by our questioning.

"And why, Beta Hughes is this important for the investigation?" he asks deadly serious.

I see Julius swallow before answering. The King was transmitting very loud and clear that he was not pleased with this questioning.

"All the people that used to work in the guard 15 years ago that are still currently employed are all born members of the pack, with no connections to rogues or hunters. That means their reason is sentimental, most likely revenge, or maybe they want to feel a sense of justice for being wronged in the past." Julius explains "And King Julio, well..."

"He was a dick." I finish for him just giving it to him straight. There was no point in sugar coating it.

There was a tense silence for a minute where the King scrutinized us extensively with his eyes.

"Maximus." he calls out surprising us. Maximus had been standing quietly next to the entrance, but at being called he took some steps forward, ready to serve his King.

"Yes, sir?" he asks respectfully

The King turns to us again.

"Maximus worked for my father before serving me." he explains. He turns to his servant again. "Do you recall any...occurrence that may fit the situation?"