Chapter 25

Julius P.O.V.

After the eventual day we had today, I stay away from Hayley the rest of the day. She was absorbed in her research and to be honest I wanted to take some time to think about what she told me earlier today.

I'm glad that we are finally making some progress with the hunter's cell. We already had two possible members on our sights and soon, hopefully, we would have more. It's great to see that we are actually making progress, even if we are piling up more work on top of us with the attack from 15 years ago. But after hearing the story I couldn't help but think that there was something more to it. The Ricci family was targeted specifically. A family that held great influence in the kingdom and who would probably be joined in marriage to the royals once the children grew up. And once they were gone, a new family replaced them. Just in one strike Harry Morgan's family became one of the most powerful family in the pack and his daughter was of a similar age to the crown prince. A perfect choice for Queen.

Coincidence? I don't believe in such.

There is something more to the story, and I want to find out what it is.

All of this was just giving me a big headache.

I fall on my bed and press call on the number I had inserted on my phone. It rings two times before the receptor answers it.

"JULIUS XAVIER HUGHES! YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE YOUNG MAN!" My sister yells the second she answers.

I had to place the phone away from my ear after she nearly had me deaf with her screams.

"Hello Cleo, how are you? I'm well, thanks for asking." I say sarcastically.

"Don't you give me that sass, you idiot. Do you know how worried I was?" she asks

"I thought I had to be the one who had to be worried. It wasn't this pack that was attacked recently." I tell her "I talked to Romeo and he told me you weren't injured, was he right?"

"I'm fine. So is Ben. The bakery suffered some damage but nothing that insurance can't fix." she says more calm.

"And how's little Julius? "I ask with a grin "Still giving you trouble?"

"I am not naming my son after you little brother. I already have one obnoxious Julius in my life, I don't need two." she argues "The baby has been quiet today but the doctor said everything was alright. Just too much excitement for one day."

I feel myself relax completely after she tells me that. I hadn't even realized I was carrying that weight on my shoulders since this morning.

"I'm sorry I couldn't call earlier. Things here have been...hectic."

"It's okay, that's why I texted you to tell you I was okay, so you wouldn't worry so much. How have things been there? Have you found something yet?"

"We're making progress, but I can't really talk about it." I explain

"And Hayley? How are things with her? Does she know your mates already?" she asks clearly very invested in my answer. She loved it when I told her I had found my mate in a hunter. She had found it hilarious, after being reassured that she wasn't a danger to my life.

"She does."

"And how did she take it?"

"Not well, but not bad either. We're kind of...in limbo." I confess

"And what's keeping you there?"

"Cleo, if you had to choose between Ben and the pack, would you be able to make the choice?" I ask her intrigued by her answer