Chapter 65- Okay, Toxic Much? Also, Help!

"Why did you let her get hurt?" roared the petite woman wrapped in a thin shawl. She lifted her body from the chair, leaning forward, her elbows on the table, supporting her bony upper body.

"Mom, he couldn't control the situation, he wasn't even there!" Airi protested, rubbing her temples. "It wasn't his fault that I rushed out into the road without looking."

Her mother turned to her.

The older woman poked Airi's forehead repeatedly with such force I was tempted to break her finger. "You stupid girl. What is wrong with you? Did I not give you your eyes? Use them for God's sake!"

Airi didn't fight back, I couldn't do anything either because she did told me off on multiple occasions for defending her, I didn't want to anger her once more over her mother. I fixed my glasses uncomfortably.

"You," she grabbed me by my chin. "Cut your hair. I don't need a girly son-in-law."

Uh, sexist much?

"Ma'am, I-"

"I wasn't finish! Listen for once, young man. How many years have you been on and off with my daughter? Stop leeching off her and start looking for a real job, she should be a mother soon, she's getting old," she gritted her teeth, spitting out the words without mercy.

"Mom, I'm working, I'll be fine, a wedding or whatever you want can wait. I want to be the best at what I'm doing first. Just let me have that one thing, please?" Airi responded with such scripted calmness, she sounded incredibly drained.

"This is exactly what you said last time. How long has it been? Six months? You're still not the best, are you? Just accept it, you will never be. Just get married already, stop being such a disgrace, would you?" the seemingly frail woman in front of both of us snobbishly sneered at Airi. She lightly yet mockingly slapped her cheeks. "Be like your sister. She's already married with two children, and she's still younger and more beautiful than you are. Wake up and make a family before what's left of your youth fades."

Airi was trembling, her head hung low, she was squeezing my hand in distress under the table. It was my cue to start talking.

"Ma'am, she's an adult, she can make her own decisions, she'd be just fine single," I tried helping.

"What would you know? You've been with her all along yet there's no progress. It seems like you don't mind her being with other men, but I do. Just look at her, she looks disgusting enough already, not only that, have you never thought of how many men she had already slept with? She's already so dirty."

Okay, what the hell? Who talks about their own daughter like that? What is wrong with her?

"Ma'am-"

"Get out," Airi looked at her mother, her eyes glistening with angered tears.

"What did you just say?" her mother stood up, the chair screeched. "How dare you speak to your own mother like that?"

She raised her hand, a slap was about to go down on Airi's face.

Airi stood up. She grabbed a hold of her hand, successfully stopping the slap from happening. Airi looked her in the eyes, as fierce and intimidating as possible, even though she knew her tears were on the verge of spilling. "I said, get out."

An audible incredulous gasp escaped the tiny venomous woman's mouth. "What is wrong with you? Everything I said was true, you know it. Your sister had always been better than you!"

Airi let go of her hand ─ no, threw her hand down ─ with what was left of her energy.

"Just leave, I'll give you the remaining money I owe you for raising me," Airi picked up her crutches, turning her back on her mother. I gave her support as she limped towards her purse.

She took out a card and coldly said, "I know what you are here for except shaming me. I don't owe you anything anymore, so take this card and just leave."

Throwing the card onto the table, she didn't even look at her, "The password is, ironically, my birthday. If you even remember the date, then yeah, use it."

Not stopping there, Airi proceeded to open the door for her. "Thank you for coming to laugh at my life but I'm alright without you in it. Also, since my sister is so much better than I am, never come to me for money ever again. You can leave now and if you must, pretend you never had me as your daughter, since I was an accident anyway. You were never much of a mother to me either if I were to be honest."

The other woman was speechless by her sudden rebellion. I, too, had nothing to say, all I could do was stand beside Airi as she butchered her. In fact, I felt a little out of place for even being there.

Forced laughter from her filled in the silence, "I see how you want this to turn out. I can't believe I would be chased out of your house."

She packed up her things and shuffled towards the door.

"Oh, also, Tol is gay and has a boyfriend. Thought I should clear it up before making you disappear from my life," Airi said what I had always wanted to say to her before slamming the door in her shocked written face. That was the last of the toxic women I had seen.

Airi tried to limp her way back into her finally quiet house with her weak freezing body. I stepped forward to support her body weight, putting her hand around my neck. Her breathing was oddly shallow.

She was unresponsive. Before I knew it, all of her body weight was on me, causing her unconscious body to be on top of mine.

My mind went blank.