Chapter 68- Wait, Is He Even Human?

"Why didn't anyone call me immediately?" I raised my voice uncontrollably.

"I can't just say yes to her and just call you right after I'm out if her sight, right?" Luzien said, sounding irritatingly logical. He sped up his car, as if letting out all his frustration out on the gas paddle.

I was lost for words. Yes, he couldn't just call me when he had agreed not to do so, yet he obviously knew how worried I was. My eyebrows locked together, looking out of the window once more as I mumbled, "McDonald's cold fries."

"What?"

Ah, he heard me. All his confusion didn't just stop in that one word question. "What did you just say?"

I turned my head lazily to look at him, attempting to stare at him as angrily as I could (I, of course, failed at showing how much he and the situation annoyed me.). "I said, 'McDonald's cold fries'."

"Wait, why McDonald's cold fries though? People usually call their partners something cute like cinnamon bun or pumpkin pie or something," he said, eyes still on the road, the amusement in his tone didn't seem to distract him at all.

"That was an insult, alright? You're a McDonald's cold fry right now for not calling me the second Airi woke up," I crossed my hands. I knew how dumb the insult was, but it was true, what he did may be annoying. Just not annoying enough for me to call him an asshole, more like a cold fry, he was no different compared to McDonald's cold fries.

His suppressed chuckle only agitated me. I was supposed to be intimidating!

"Aw, c'mon, don't sulk. I went to get you, no?" he teased lovingly. "You get to get off work early today."

"Yeah, with Adro looking at me with so much suspicion when you said" ─my hands making air quotes ─ "We're going to a 'business meeting'."

"Okay, technically, it's sort of true. I'm meeting Vastel for, uh, professional reasons," he shrugged, as if the little pause there meant very little to him. "Don't worry too much, alright? You'd see her soon enough, she's fine."

The car came to a stop at a red light. Unaffected by the fact that we were still on the road, he reached into a small space only to pull out some chocolates. Again, some Ferrero Rocher sitting in its half transparent box, the atmosphere felt somehow familiar. Just this time, I wasn't as nervous, I guess. He shoved the box into my lap before speeding up when the light turned green.

"Just eat these and calm down 'til we get there," he pointed to the chocolates staring at me temptingly.

Damn it, I forgot that he knew I love sweet stuff (Though, at this point it wasn't even a secret anymore.). He won this time.

I eyed him, engraving his smug facial expression into my memories, how his dark brown eye brows were raised, and a smirk tugging at his perfectly proportionate lips, the bridge of his high nose scrunching up a little.

"Keep staring and we would never make it to Airi on time," he warned, keeping his tone light.

I understood exactly what he meant. I doubted his words, obviously. Airi was important, he wouldn't do anything weird, right?

The curious part of my heart urged me to keep staring to see what would happen. So, I kept my eyes locked on him, challenging his warning.

The car came to a stop, violently. This time it wasn't because of a red light. We were beside the road. He turned to me, I came to the realisation that he had kept his words. Honestly, I was surprised myself. He dragged the back of his hand on my cheek, lightly brushing the surface of my skin. He pressed his forehead against mine, just to softly tease me, "Was yesterday night not enough?"

Disclaimer: WE DID NOTHING YESTERDAY NIGHT. Except for the fact that he carried me bridal style back to my apartment, so that's that.

Blood rushed to my ears, I wanted to pull away, but he was always a step ahead of me. His hand was already behind my head, pressing us together closer than how we were two minutes ago. Instinctively, I tugged at his shirt, "W-we're gonna be late, Luz, c-c'mon."

Great, that came out more as a stutter than an order.

He did not budge. He grinned a little, "You're aware of that?"

Something was suddenly pushed into my mouth and he pulled away. It took me a good second to realise that he had successfully shut me up with chocolate. (Like, how did he even unwarp the foil without me noticing? How is that even humanly possible?)

He had already started driving when I finally snapped out of both amazement and disbelief.

Someone tell me what the hell just happened.