Chapter 29- Choo, Choo, Potential Danger Incoming

Both us stood there, frozen, unsure of what to think, just staring at the screen and each other.

The silent shock recovery time was cut short by the alarm Airi had set. It reminded us that we still had a job, and that we should go now. We sprinted towards the direction of the office, our lives depended on it, literally. We looked at each other, deciding to pretend that everything was just fine and no potential weird stalker was working at where we would usually buy our food.

We stepped into the department we were in, ready for work. I took a deep breath. 'Gotta be professional,' I told myself. I was determined to get at least something done before five. It had been days and I was very non-productive.

I cracked my knuckles before proceeding to type out the email replies for my client, calling potential customers, and talking to models. The amount of social interactions exhausted me. However, it wasn't even noon yet, my work wasn't even half way done either.

At 3 p.m. I collected the desired pattern from a client, chose suitable fabrics for a few projects, and had late lunch. A few meetings after that ended my day. I packed up my things with a sigh of contentment, it had been a long time since I had fully focused on my work. I felt some sort of relief after a long day of running around, actually getting my job done.

I felt happy, well, at least, until, a call from Vastel ruined it. His 'perfect' timing pissed me off a little. It made me snapped out of my illusion of 'everything-is-fine-in-my-life' too quickly, I hated him for that.

"Yes?" I answered the call on the third ring.

"You guys done? I'm about to head there, want me to give you a ride? I'm nearby."

"No, we'll be fine."

"Really? You can save your energy."

"Yes, now shut it. It's only a few streets away."

"Ok," he answered in the same tone as that the first time we met, that almost seemingly mocking tone. I shook it off, not wanting to seem petty. I pat Airi's right shoulder, signalling her that it was time. She nodded her head, grabbed her bag, and walked out with me.

It was weird not seeing Fancy-Ass at work since I had been watching him work for the past few days. His absence made things felt a bit weird, not going to lie. I had been working there for the past few years and things were alright. Strangely, his presence made a difference. It felt like someone went into your room, touched your things, and left but you just can't put a finger on it. Him popping into my department occasionally several times a day kept me, in a way, energized. Maybe it was the urge to not embarrass myself in front of him or maybe I wanted him to notice me even more, who knew. Either way, I kind of missed him, just a little.

I walked down the streets, hands in the pockets of my pants, with Airi's loud accompany. We eventually made it to the promised location. Although we had made it safely to the café, I couldn't help but feeling like someone was following us. Even on the road, everytime I turned my head to check, there was no one.

I was soon convinced that I was just overthinking when we reached our destination. It was, in fact, a fallacy to have thought that way.