Chapter 38- Time To Hunt Down A Human

"He... He came?"

"Didn't he? I saw him. I'm pretty sure it's him. He was standing outside of the room. Did he not go in?"

"No, he did not. It was just the both of us, and the bandaged patient."

"Huh, ain't that weird? Anyway, go fill up the form, yeah?"

"Oh, sorry, forgot about that. Let's go."

Vastel led me outside, back to the receptionist. I was still a little confused about the bag. So, I brought that along with me too, perhaps I would have a chance to find out who it belonged to. I mean, Luzien came without stepping in, it could be his. However, I probably should stop assuming things, it could have been for the bandaged patient's, we never know.

Vastel left me at the counter alone, telling me that he had more work after answering a phone call. I watched as his shadow disappearing down the hallway.

"Sir, please fill up the visiting form," a nurse with a face caked of makeup reminded me. I looked up, nodded, accepting a pen that was held out to me. I started filling up the form, oddly feeling pressured by the stares that could be in my imagination. Regardless if it was real or I was just being sensitive, I hated it, I felt very much uncomfortable. I decided to make the atmosphere for myself less tense by striking up a conversation about the bag, killing two birds with one stone.

I felt a bead of sweat rolling down from my forehead as I asked the nurses present, "So, anybody came today to see Airi?"

One of them with long curly brown hair nodded, "Yeah, there were a man and a woman. The man came first, I think his name was Luzien?"

"Uh huh, Luzien was that cutie, right?" Another nurse with a tan said. "Hey, is he single? Introduce us to him, if he is."

Their unprofessionalism made me lose more potential hope in humanity. I pretended to agree with their gossiping, encouraging them to go on. I felt a little bad but I needed all the information I could get, I was so very desperate.

"Oh, is that so? What do you think about the lady then?" I asked, urging them to give me more.

The nurse with too much make up chimed in, "Oh, her? She was carrying the bag you are holding now. I think she was a trans woman. Ugh, how disgusting. How did the world get to this point? Men aren't men, and women aren't women anymore. What is wrong with them? They gross me out. Such freaks."

Her words made me sick. I didn't understand the hate for this unknown lady. The real question was why on Earth would anyone hate on trans folks for no apparent reason? What is wrong with them?

I kept my smile, trying to push all the anger in me down into my gut. I had to know how much these nurses knew. "Huh, when did the man leave then?"

"He hasn't left yet, I thought he was in the room with all of you?" Curly Hair questioned.

I panicked a little before making up a lie, "Oh, I went to the toilet. When I returned he wasn't there anymore, so I was curious."

I handed them the filled up form. I spotted Vastel as I got ready to leave. I honestly hoped that he could do something about the nurses, their attitude just wasn't suitable for their jobs.

"How about the woman?" I asked, my one last question. "When did she leave?"

"Oh, she left not long after you came out."