Happy Birthday

Fourteen Years Later

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday my dear Severia! Happy birthday to you!" Snape sang while Skull, Severia's cat, purred at her feet.

"Go on, blow out your candles." he said gently.

So she did. She made no wish, she never made wishes. As her father would say, 'If you want something, you earn it.'

Severus cared about few things in life. Severia just happened to sit at the top of that list. His only daughter had been his twin. She had dark eyes, was tall, had black hair and rarely smiled. She was clever, brave and would do anything to protect those she loved. However, instead of pale skin she was a warm brown and was crowned with curly hair. She was radiant, even at fourteen.

"Thank you for putting this together, I know how busy you are. You don't have to stay home long." she said before taking a bite of her chocolate cake.

Hogwarts students would return back to school in only three days. It was always a challenge for Snape to find time to spend with Severia before he had to leave. Her birthday being August 28th did not make matters any easier.

"Severia, my dear, do not waste a second of this day fearing that I do not want to be here."

Severia smiled sweetly and said, "Yes father."

Once the cake on their plates had disappeared and Skull had finished her treats, it was time for presents. Snape walked out of the room only to return with one bag and a box.

"First you may open the box." Snape said through a grin.

She opened it carefully, untying the green ribbon and gently lifting the black lid. Inside sat a beautiful wand. It was English Oak wrapped in green basilisk skin.

Before she could ask any questions or say a thank you, the bag was placed in her lap. She looked up at her father who was now smiling for the first time in awhile. When she removed the paper from the top, she found robes. Hogwarts robes.

"Father, why have you gotten me Hogwarts robes? I thought you said that—" Severia started to question when Snape interrupted her.

"Things change, dear." Severus said quietly as he handed her a Hogwarts letter.

Severia gasped as she held the letter delicately in her hands. She had been secretly hoping for this moment for three years. Three years her father denied her admission to Hogwarts. He claimed that it was for her own protection, but she believed that he just wasn't ready to see her grow up.

She leaped into her father's arms and hugged him as tightly as she could. "Thank you, father! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She squealed.

"Promise me you will behave?" He said with a stern look that Severia could see right through. Inside he was smiling just as much as she was.

"Yes, yes of course I promise!" She replied.

~~~

That night all she could think of was Hogwarts. Between the train, the people and the magic she was overwhelmed with excitement. All of the stories that her father told her she would be able to see for herself. She wouldn't have to be and outsider longing to fit in. She would be able to meet people her age, people who were just like her. For the first time in her life, she would have friends. She would be able to talk to people who weren't Skull. She would finally know what it's like to be normal, well, normal for a witch.