The Yule Ball

It was the night before the Yule Ball and Severia was trying to piece together a dress to wear. Between Ruby's dresses and her own shoes, she thought she had a decent outfit. It was a purple mini dress with beige flats.

"Ruby, I hate it." Severia huffed.

"It honestly doesn't look that bad!" Ruby tried to convince her.

Then a quiet knock came from the door. Ruby went over to answer it as Severia changed back into her night clothes.

"Uh, Severia, it's for you." Ruby called. Severia pulled on her sweater and hurried to the door.

"Father?" She was shocked to see him at her room so late.

"I'm sorry that it's such late notice, but I wanted to give you this." He said, handing her a large, grey box. "Dumbledore and I had this made for you."

Severia opened the box to reveal a silk, dark green dress and gold heels.

"It- Its breathtaking. I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am." Severia was so relieved she could cry. She hugged him tightly and he leaned down to whisper to her.

"Potter better behave himself. Make sure he knows that I will be attending the dance as well." He pulled back from the hug and said, "Goodnight you two." He winked at Severia and went to his bedroom.

Ruby and Severia squealed at the thought of her wearing the new dress. It surely beat the purple mini dress she had on earlier. Purple was never her color.

~~~

Ruby was curling the ends of her hair while Severia paced back and forth across the room.

"What if he doesn't even show up?" Severia worried aloud.

Ruby turned to her slowly and said, "Severia, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but he kind of has to show up. He has that big dance, remember?"

"Bloody hell, the dance! He doesn't know how to dance! He's going to make a fool of himself. I was so caught up in planning an outfit that I forgot to give him lessons." Severia's anxieties were beginning to overwhelm her.

"It wouldn't be the first time he's embarrassed himself in front of everyone." Ruby said, trying to hold back a smile. Severia tried to give her a stern look, but they couldn't help themselves. They fell into a fit of laughter.

Severia sighed and decided to let the long twists she put in her hair last night drape down her back. She put a golden necklace on that Dumbledore had given her when she was a baby. She owned no other piece of jewelry as beautiful as this.

She turned to face Ruby to ask how she looked in her dress. Ruby gasped and hugged her.

"Who would've thought that Snape would have such a beautiful daughter." She teased and Severia whacked her playfully. Together, they stepped into the common room.

Draco was waiting for Ruby by the emerald green couch. He turned towards their footsteps and his eyes fell onto Severia. He had never seen anything like her before.

"Hi, Draco. Are you ready to go?" Ruby asked him.

"Uh, yes. Yes let's go." He said, forcing his eyes away from Severia. "You look great."

Severia watched his eyes as they floated to Ruby. She was still upset with him, but she was happy for Ruby. In the back of her mind, she hoped Draco would treat Ruby better than he had with her.

"You aren't half bad either. I like the hair." Ruby grabbed his hand, waved to Severia and said, "I'll see you there!"

And with that, she was alone. She looked around the empty common room, it was quite peaceful here, but it was nothing like the Gryffindor's. She took one last deep breath and pushed open the door to the hallway. She went up the back stairwell and past the library to the top of the stairs above the Great Hall.