Prefects

Severia woke up earlier than the rest of the house to enjoy the peace. It was her way of keeping herself sane in this new life she became part of. She loved her friends and she wouldn't change them for the world, but she just wished they could've been able to be normal teenagers.

Her grey skirt and white shirt complimented her mother's necklace beautifully. She wanted the sapphire to be the center of the show for her return. No one at Hogwarts had anything like it.

She paced her room just as she did the year before, asking Skull if she had packed everything. She made a mental list and checked it three times before realizing what had been bothering her.

"The prefects." She thought. Ron and Hermione were the Gryffindor prefects, which surprised everyone. Severia had no doubts that it would be Hermione and Harry, so she was extremely confused. However, she was happy for Ron. She hadn't received a letter about being a prefect either. This didn't shock her though, she didn't want to be the face of Slytherin.

She tiptoed out of her room and up to Harry's in order to talk to him without the others around. She closed the door silently behind her and walked to Harry's side of the bed.

"Harry... I- Wake up, but quietly. Please." She whispered nervously. She should be used to this, she wakes her friends fairly often. Harry groaned softly but opened his eyes to look at her. The morning chill that filled the room left him at the sight of her.

"Sev? Are you okay?" He asked sleepily. He rubbed his eyes to make sure she wasn't hurt.

"I'm fine, Harry. I just wanted to talk to you before everyone else woke up and interrupted." She said. Everyone else really meant Ginny. Then he motioned for her to sit next to him.

"I know that you wanted to be a prefect and I'm sorry that it didn't work out." She paused to read his face. "But, guess what! You and I can still get into trouble without those silly little things called rules and responsibilities getting in the way."

Harry couldn't contain his joy. "Her... and I...together." He thought.

"Well maybe it was a blessing in disguise." He said through a smile.

"Precisely!" Severia said happily. She was relieved that he was feeling better.

They sat there looking at each other for awhile. Then the chirping of the morning birds made them realize that Harry should be getting ready.

"You should try to look decent today, Potter." Severia teased. In all honesty, she thought he always looked good.

"Not everyone can look like you, Sev." Harry said truthfully. Severia's heart skipped before she continued speaking.

"I think that part of our new found trouble-making-pact should be to wear matching outfits on our first day." She said as she walked to his trunk of clothes. "Go on. Grey pants and a white shirt. It's simple, but effective."

He laughed, but obliged. The thought of matching her made him look forward to seeing Draco. "Maybe he'll be even paler." He thought.

Harry got dressed and they looked in the mirror together. She put her arm around his waist and he put his around her shoulder.

"You're quite handsome for almost dying a few weeks ago." Severia said, still looking at him in the mirror. Harry took in a sharp breath to keep himself from passing out.

"T-Thank you. I uh, you look..." He trailed off. There were a million words that came to his mind, but none of them were enough. "Perfect."

"Oh don't flatter me, Potter." She said, letting go of him. "Come on! I have to grab my things before we leave."

~~~

The students made it to platform 9 3/4 along with Mrs. Weasley and Sirius as a dog. This directly disobeyed Dumbledore's orders, but Sirius believed rules were meant to be broken.

"There are a few rules that you must follow." Mrs. Weasley said, glaring at the dog. "No letters about the Order and stick together. No trouble making or anything of the sort."

They all nodded and climbed onto the train. Ron and Hermione said their goodbyes before heading off to the prefect compartment. This left Harry and Severia to walk the train alone.

Ruby came up to Severia and hugged her tightly. "Severia! I've missed you so much!" She said.

Harry stood next to her and stared at Ruby wide-eyed. Severia was just as shocked to see her, forgetting that she would see Ruby here.

"I- Ive missed you, too!" Severia said, hugging her back.

"Well come on! Our compartment is over here, Pansy and Draco will be there soon. They're prefects so-"

"They're what?" Severia asked quietly and Harry looked down at her. Severia's entire mood had shifted.

"They're the Slytherin prefects, Severia. Keep up!" Ruby said, grabbing Severia's hand to take her with her.

"Actually, Ruby." Severia said, taking back her hand. "I'll see you at the school. I'm going to sit with Harry."

"Oh. Okay, suit yourself." Ruby said as she skipped off.

~~~

Harry and Severia sat down in an empty compartment without saying much to one another. She was across from him and he watched her stare at the passing trees from the window. Her hair was in braids that fell to her back and her necklace made her look like a princess.

She had stopped caring about the scene outside long ago, but she kept her gaze on the window to see how long Harry would look at her. She smiled slightly to herself before standing up to sit on his side of the compartment.

She grabbed his hand from his lap and said, "You're my best friend, Harry. Remember that."

His head was telling him to reply but his mouth wouldn't move. The longer she stared, the harder it was to breathe.

"And you- you're my best friend." He whispered to her. She smiled and kissed the back of his hand before the compartment door slid open.

"We brought you chocolate frogs!" Ron said, taking note of how close they were sitting.

"Thank you!" Severia said, dropping his hand gently.

"Thank God I'm not a prefect." Harry thought.