The Clue

The second task was in a few days which meant that Harry really needed to open the egg. He kept in mind the help that Cedric— and Ron had given him. Now he just needed the location.

Severia was playing chess with Ruby at a table in the Slytherin common room. It was late, almost midnight. But because it was the weekend, she didn't mind it. She heard a knock at the door which was extremely unusual for the common room. All of the Slytherins already knew the password.

She got up to open the door and saw no one there. Then suddenly, Harry's head appeared without his body.

"Oh, Harry! You scared me. You're lucky it's just Ruby and I in here. You could've been seen." Severia said to him sternly.

"Severia? Who is it?" Ruby called as she made her way over to the door.

"Uh- Hello. Could I borrow your friend for a moment?" Harry asked Ruby.

"I think you should find the rest of your body first." Ruby teased him. Severia and Harry laughed at this. "Sure, just don't keep her out too late. She's a pain to wake up." She said finally.

"Says you!" Severia said as she shoved a laughing Ruby out of the way.

Harry lifted the cloak just enough for her to slip underneath. Together they made their way towards the boys' prefect bathroom.

"Harry, I can't go in there!" Severia whispered.

"No one will see you! And if they do, I have this." He said gesturing to the cloak they were under. Reluctantly, she agreed.

They entered the bathroom and Harry filled up the large bathtub. She watched as he set the egg down near the edge of it.

"I forgot to tell you to bring a bathing suit." He said apologetically.

"You're lucky I'm a witch." She said as she waved her wand and pointed it at herself. She was now wearing a black, one-piece swimsuit instead of her Slytherin sweater.

They got into the pool-like bathtub and Harry grabbed the egg.

"You go under first." He said nervously.

"Why me? I'm not the Champion, you are!" She said to him.

"How about together? 1... 2... 3." He said before they both sank into the lukewarm water.

He opened the egg and it sang a song in the voices of merpeople. It told the Champions that they would need to go to the lake and rescue a treasure that was stolen from them, the thing that they love most. They would have one hour to do so before their treasure would be lost forever.

"Wow, this sounds nearly impossible." Severia said. "How do they expect you to stay underwater for an hour?"

"I shouldn't have waited so long to open the egg." Harry admitted, he felt defeated.

"I have to agree with you there, Potter. But I'll help you, and I'm sure Hermione and Ron..." She remembered the fight they had at the Yule Ball. "Well, just know that you won't be alone."

"I appreciate it." Harry said, noticing the pause she took to correct herself.

They stepped out of the bath and Severia changed back into her clothes with another flick of her wand. Harry brought her back to the common room underneath the cloak.

"Thank you, Harry. I can meet you in the Great Hall tomorrow morning for breakfast, then we can go to the library. It that alright?" Severia asked him as he watched her hands move while she talked.

"Sure, yeah. That sounds good." He smiled and said, "I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight." They said in unison. Severia slid through the door to find Snape waiting for her.

"Oh, hello!" She said, trying to play off the fact that it was one in the morning and she had just snuck into the common room.

"Do you think that I don't know you?" Severus began. "You're my daughter, I know you better than anyone."

"I- Yes, I know that." She was confused as to where this was going.

"You wouldn't have to sneak around if you'd just ask to go see him." He finished.

"How did- Did Ruby tell you that?" She asked him.

"Severia, I know when you leave without the help of your friend. A father can feel when his daughter is not where she's supposed to be." He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head towards her.

"Oh.. so am I in trouble?" She asked, hoping he would let her off with a warning.

"No, my dear, you aren't. I've been waiting up for you for months now, each time you go to the library or wherever else that boy takes you." He smiled, "Ask me next time and neither of us will have to worry anymore." He put his strong hand on her shoulder and she put hers on top of it.

"Thank you." She whispered and he nodded.

"So where did you go tonight?" He asked with a smirk.

"Oh, you know, for a swim." She said casually and the two of them began to laugh.

~~~

The next morning, Severia sat with the Gryffindors at breakfast. Ron sat next to Severia and Harry sat next to Hermione. They still weren't speaking to each other.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape were walking in their direction. Severia and Harry looked at each other.

"Do you think they know?" Harry asked her.

"Know what?" Severia winked. Harry's eyes went wide.

"Hermione, could you come with me, please?" Professor McGonagall said.

"And, Severia, you will be coming with me." He said firmly.

The Golden Group shared quick glances, but the two girls stood up and followed their teachers. Before Severia left, she put a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"What do you think that was about?" Ron asked him.

"I have absolutely no idea." He said.