What It Means To Trust

Hermione, Ron and Severia sat at the Gryffindor table discussing the train ride back home. Hermione and Ron were attempting to convince Severia to ask her father if she could join them. Because it was their last day together, they wanted to spend as much time with each other as possible.

"But you're his daughter! He has to say yes to you!" Ron said.

"He doesn't have to, Ron." Hermione reminded him.

"I wish it worked like that. I promise I'll ask him, but there's no guarantee he will agree." Severia said, trying to please them. Her mind was focused on where Harry could be. They had been there for an hour and he was no where to be seen.

"Have you seen Harry?" She finally asked.

"He's packing his things. He always waits until the last minute." Hermione said.

"Oh, okay." Severia replied sadly. If she couldn't convince Snape to let her on the train, she wouldn't talk to him until the fall.

"Severia! Sev!" A voice whispered from the other end of the table.

The three students turned their heads to look at Harry who was now waving to get her attention. She laughed at how stupid he looked, but she stood up.

"So we will see you on the train then?" Ron said.

"Hopefully!" Severia said doubtfully.

"I'll save you a seat." Hermione said with a slight smile.

Severia walked towards Harry as she scanned his face. For the first time, she couldn't read him.

"What's going on, Harry?" She asked.

"Come with me." Harry said, pulling her out of the Great Hall and stepping outside of the castle. They walked past the large tree and and around the greenhouse.

"Harry?" Severia questioned.

"I need to tell you something, but I don't want anyone else to hear." He said, finally stopping. She felt her mouth dry out. This had never happened to her before.

"O-Okay, go ahead then, Potter." She said. He paused and took a deep breath before he spoke.

"Thank you for everything, Sev." He said gently. Everything he felt throughout the year began to overwhelm him. "I know that you didn't ask for this and you probably wish you hadn't gotten to know me at all, but I-"

"Harry! Don't say that. It's not true." Severia interrupted.

"Just- just promise me if you wanted to leave you would?" Harry asked her. Severia looked at him, realizing how serious he was. She took his hands and stared into his eyes.

"Like I said before, Potter, I'm not going anywhere." She paused, "Part of me is so hurt that I spent fourteen years of my life missing out on these friendships, but the other part is incredibly grateful that I met you when I did."

Harry felt tears in his eyes again, but not because he was hurting. He was simply relieved he wasn't going to lose her.

"I want you to know that I'd risk my life for you, too, Harry. In fact, I already have." Severia said, laughing a little and dropping his hands.

He laughed his tears away. His first genuine laugh since the tournament. He pulled her into him and let out a sigh of relief.

"You're my best friend, Severia Snape." He whispered.

"The feeling is mutual, Harry Potter." She said with a smile.

~~~

As they walked around the grounds, she remembered the train.

"Harry, how long until you have to go?" She asked.

"I'd say twenty minutes." He said absentmindedly. He was distracted by the way her dark skin was glowing under the sun. It was almost as if she had been dipped in gold.

"Oh! I have to go!" She said turning around to face him. This brought Harry back to reality.

"What? Why?" He asked her sadly.

"I have to ask my father about the train ride." She said, walking backwards towards the castle.

"What if he says no?" Harry asked.

"I'll write to you then." She said. She had never sent a letter before, but to be fair, she had no one to send them to.

"You promise?" He asked her, unconvinced.

"You have my word." She said, picking up the pace. "Bye, Potter!" She shouted across the grass.

"Bye!" He shouted back. He stood there, watching her run off. He looked at the ground once she was out of sight.

"Please let her get on the train, Professor." He thought.

~~~

She entered Snape's office and saw her bags sitting in the corner of his room. Skull was walking along the shelves, looking at the items on them.

"Father! Could I take the train back?" She asked, panting.

"What? Severia, why would you do that? Why don't I just take you home." He asked her, collecting his things.

"I-" She wanted to choose her words carefully. "I would like to say goodbye to my friends."

Severus thought about this for a moment.

"That's a long time to be away from me." He said.

"I've proven that I can protect myself." Severia said, getting frustrated. She didn't have time to argue.

"I don't think it's a good idea." He said finally. She felt her heart break. This time, she let her anger fuel her words.

"Dumbledore would let me and you know it! He actually believes in me. Why can't you just trust me?" She snapped.

Severus looked down at her. Now it was his turn to feel his heart break.

"I trust you, Severia, I do. I just-"

"You just what?" She hissed.

"Severia, please." He said gently. He didn't want to further upset her. "Could you try to accept the fact that I worry about you? That because I love you, I want you to be safe?" He asked her.

She felt the guilt wash over her for the second time this week. Once again, letting her emotions hurt those she loved.

"I- I'm sorry. I don't have to go." She said, trying to swallow the lump in her throat.

"If I let you go and something happens, you will never ride that train again." He said sternly. She looked up at him and hugged him.

"Thank you, I promise we will be okay." She said into his chest. She grabbed her things and ran out of the room before he could change his mind.

"She will be okay. She can handle this." He reminded himself as she left the room. "She's strong, just like her mother."