The First Day

The first day came faster than Severia had expected. Ruby Grenwald, her roommate and new friend, slept soundly in her bed. Severia walked towards her and shook her gently to wake her up.

"Ruby, I don't mean to bother you, but it's time for classes." Severia whispered.

"Severia, out of all the times I've been woken up, this was by far the gentlest." Ruby said drowsily.

Severia only laughed as she gathered her uniform. She pulled on her grey skirt, white button up and Slytherin robes. She left her braids in from the night before so that she wouldn't have to worry about spending more time on her hair.

She walked over to Ruby, who had also gotten ready and together they went to the common room. Then she saw him, the tall blond. She avoided his gaze and turned for the door when she heard someone call her name. She whipped around, one of her braids hitting her in the face.

"Severia, why don't you walk to class with me?" Draco said smoothly.

"Shouldn't you be asking if you could walk with me? You stopped me, remember?" Severia grinned, rather proud of herself.

All Draco could do was stare at the girl he had just met. At the girl who had put herself above him. Being challenged by Harry Potter was an easy fight, but her? This was new.

"You've got nerve in you, Severia." Draco paused, then grinned, "I kinda like it."

"If you don't start walking, we will be late to my father's class." Severia said without missing a beat. She was able to surpress the urge to giggle at the compliment he gave.

They maneuvered the corridors towards the Potions room. She was still getting used to the layout of the massive castle. At least Ruby, Draco, Crabbe and Goyle have done this before. They made it to the classroom and stepped inside. Snape sees his daughter and calls her to his desk.

"How was your evening?" He asked.

"It was good, great actually. Ruby talked to me for most of the evening. I think she and I are friends now." Severia said.

"Glad to hear you're settling in." He sounded as if he were about to continue his thoughts, but let the urge go.

"Where should I sit?" Severia asked, breaking the silence between them.

"Good question, dear." He said. "Attention. I will be assigning seats this year. I want you, here. You, here. Weasley, next to the window. Potter, up here. Malfoy, in the back." He continued this for several more minutes. Arranging and rearranging the students as he wished. Finally, seating Severia next to Ron Weasley. She wasn't sure if he meant to do this or not, regardless this was where she was placed.

Ron was staring at her and Severia could feel it. She leaned over to him and whispered, "Ron, I don't know you very well yet, but I don't think staring at me is the same as saying 'hi'."

He turned crimson at this. He mumbled an apology and trained his eyes to his book. He must not have realized that he was staring at the table of contents for the next ten minutes. Severia laughed to herself and went back to listening to her father. If there was any class she wanted to succeed in, it was this one. And maybe Defense Against the Dark Arts.

~~~

Once the class was over, she said goodbye to her father. She saw Ron up ahead with two other students. She wanted to apologize for embarrassing him, so she ran to catch up.

"Hi, Ron, I just wanted to apologize for embarrassing you in class today. I never meant to." She said weakly. She didn't want to be apologizing to someone on the first day.

"Oh uh, it's alright. I mean you didn't embarrass me. I wasn't embarrassed at all, actually. Uh I'm sorry for staring at you though. I just can't believe you're related to Snape!" Ron blurted out. He looked as if he had been frozen when the realization of what he had just said hit him.

"I- I didn't mean to offen-" He stammered.

Severia started to laugh along with Ron's other two friends. "Ron, it's nothing to be sorry for. It was quite funny." Severia said, continuing to laugh.

Ron gathered his pride and introduced Hermione Granger and Harry Potter to her. At Harry's name, Severia's thoughts blurred.

"Did you say, Harry Potter?" She stared at him in disbelief.

"Now who's the one staring." Ron said sarcastically.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to." Severia said, quickly moving her eyes.

"Oh it's alright, I'm used to it." Harry said shyly.

"Well, Severia, would you like to walk to class with us?" Hermione asked.

"Are you sure? Is it okay for me to be walking with you?" Severia questioned.

"Why not?" Asked Harry.

"Might as well." Severia shrugged and the four of them walked towards their next class.

~~~

That evening, Severia made her way back to the common room. Ruby was talking to a group of girls on the couch. Severia didn't want to intrude, so she waved and turned towards her bedroom when Ruby called her over.

"Severia, come here!" She said. "Where have you been? I haven't seen you since Potions."

"I was talking to Hermione, Ron and Harry." Severia answered, ignoring the looks of judgment across the other girls' faces.

"Oh, you were? Why?" Ruby asked genuinely.

"Seemed nice enough, is that a problem?" Severia asked suspiciously.

"No, no." She trailed off then said, "Have you seen Draco?"

She felt the rest of the girls glare harder than before. "No actually, but I'm sure he can find his way." Severia said nonchalantly. Even if she did want to know where he was, why would she admit it?

Ruby stared at her for a moment, scanning her face to detect a lie, then started conversation as normal. They discussed school, homework, then the dreaded subject of boys.

"So, Ruby, do you like anyone?" Pansy asked excitedly.

"Well, no. Not at the moment." Ruby said dishonestly. However, it was enough for the girls to believe her, all but Severia. She wouldn't question it in front of the group though.

"What about you, Pansy?" Ruby asked.

"Draco Malfoy, obviously." She said dreamily.

Severia felt hatred course through her for the first time. The feeling was so foreign she thought she'd be sick. She managed to keep it together so that there would be no need to ask questions.

"How about you, Severia, see anyone you like? Please don't say one of the Weasleys." Tracy said rolling her eyes in disgust at the name.

Another surge of hatred.

"Yes. I do." Severia said coldly.

"Oh! Do tell!" Pansy smirked. It was almost as if she already knew the answer to this. Was she testing her?

"Well, I'd rather wait to tell him first. I wouldn't want to spoil it." Severia tried to recover from the anger heating her skin.

Just then, he walked in. His gorgeous blue eyes met Severia's almost black eyes. He was just about to speak when Pansy jumped into his arms.

The final pang of hatred bubbled in her throat and tightened her fists.

With this, she said goodnight to Ruby and walked to her room without another glance in Draco's direction.