The Introduction of Professor Umbridge

The students found their way to their house tables in preparation for the sorting of the first years. The castle is more beautiful than the last time she had seen it. The candles gave the halls an orange glow. She's lived in such grey toned rooms her whole life, so warm lighting has been growing on her. Severia said goodbye to Ron, Hermione, and Luna.

"Be careful around him." Harry whispered to her as she hugged him goodbye. He wished she could sit with him.

"Maybe. I think I might like to see you fight him again." Severia said playfully before walking away to join Ruby.

"Hi again." She said as Ruby stared at her in bewilderment.

"You just hugged him." Ruby whispered, still shocked.

"So?" Severia questioned. "Friends hug."

"Not in front of your dad you don't." Ruby said. Severia quickly looked over at Snape who was staring furiously at Harry from his seat.

"He's going to kill him." Severia said putting her face in her hands.

"Well, on the bright side Harry's in love with you and I have my best friend back." Ruby said excitedly.

"Wait- Harry isnt- Ruby take that back." Severia hissed.

"Take what back?" Draco said, sitting across from them.

"Oh not you." Severia said, rolling her eyes.

"Personally, I think they're smothering you. We all like you better over here." Draco said and the Slytherin next to him nodded.

"Draco, what is going on?" Severia asked, leaning away from him. He sat back down and glanced at Ruby who took the hint.

"Severia... can we talk later?" She asked and Severia stared at her.

"She's going to say yes. She has to, we are in the same room." Severia heard, although these weren't her thoughts.

"Just because we share a room doesn't mean I have to say yes" Severia said.

"How did you-"

"Good evening students!" Dumbledore announced, interrupting Ruby's question. "Let us welcome our first years for the sorting!"

~~~

After the feast, Dumbledore stood up to announce that Hagrid's class would be taught by Professor Grubly-Plank and that Professor Umbridge would be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Hem, hem!" She said as she stood up. The school was taken aback by this. No one had interrupted Dumbledore's speech before.

Harry recognized her from the trial. Her and Fudge wanted to convict him. Severia looked at him from across the room and for a brief moment, they made eye contact. It was broken by the small woman's shrill voice.

"Thank you, Headmaster!" She said kindly. Snape stared at her with disgust. "I am honored to be here teaching you all this year. It is good to change and evolve. Adapting new teaching techniques is a necessity! The Ministry and I truly believe this!"

Only a few students clapped for her before Dumbledore continued. Once he dismissed the students, Draco pulled Severia to the side.

"Listen, I shouldn't have came into your compartment. I'm- I" He sighed. "I'm sorry, Severia."

Severia looked him up and down and scrunched her eyebrows. Ron came to save her from replying.

"Let's go." He said, taking her hand. He guided her through the crows until they met up with the rest of their friends. Harry glanced at their hands and thought he would throw up.

"Draco is acting strange." Severia said as they stood off to the side of the hallway. The other students were passing them. "He apologized and now he's... I just don't understand."

"He's terrible, Severia. He probably just wants to get back together only to hurt you again." Hermione said, matter-of-fact. Harry couldn't handle the thought of Severia with Draco while Ron was holding her hand.

"I think you should stay in our dorm tonight." Harry said flatly. Ron grabbed her hand tighter as he agreed.

"Listen I- I can't. Ruby and I have to talk. Plus, my father already wants to kill you, Harry. He saw us hug." Severia said. "I'm sorry, but I'll see you tomorrow."

She slipped away and entered the Slytherin common room.

~~~

Hours passed and she stayed up on the couch with Skull. She didn't expect everything to be perfect, but she wondered how things could have gotten this bad. Harry is stared at like he's mad and she couldn't do anything to help. Draco and Ruby were acting so strange and she just wanted to know why. Thankfully, Ruby came out of her room to meet her.

"Ready?" Ruby asked as she sat next to Severia.

"I guess so." Severia replied, twirling her curl around her finger.

"Draco and I broke up over the summer, but I don't really care. Boys are..." Ruby said as she made eye contact with Severia.

"Weird." Severia helped her. They both smiled and looked away.

"Well, anyways. All Draco can do is talk about you, Severia. I know that you and Harry have a thing, you even matched today." Ruby said, raising an eyebrow at her.

"No, Rube. We don't have anything." Severia interrupted, she wasn't going to let Ruby interrogate her.

"Whatever it is, it's cute. I'm happy for you, but Draco wants me to help him make you his friend again." Ruby said, dismissing Severia's frustration. Severia kept her eyes on Ruby's face.

"Come on! It would be so much easier this way and you know it. Don't be so stubborn." Ruby thought.

"I'm not stubborn!" Severia protested.

"You did it again! You're reading my mind, Severia!" Ruby shouted, standing up.

"Shhh, you're going to wake the entire castle." Severia said, pulling her back down. "Listen, I don't know how I'm doing it or when I started, but only you and Ron know."

"Ron? The ginger? Why not Harry? Do I sense a love triangle?" Ruby teased.

"Oh of course not, Ruby! I don't like Ron— or Harry!" Severia saved herself.

"Sure. Whatever keeps that pretty mind asleep at night. Your secret is safe with me as long as you agree to at least try with Draco. For me?" Ruby asked through a yawn.

Severia thought about this for a moment. "Maybe he would leave my friends alone if I could just be nice. Then again, he couldn't even manage that when I was his girlfriend."

"For you, Ruby. Only because you asked." Severia caved.

"Ah! Thank you!" Ruby said hugging her. Severia put her arms around Ruby and closed her eyes. She was exhausted and having her best friend with her made her realize that she could finally rest. They sat there for a while, talking about their summers. Once Severia was drowsy, Ruby helped her to their room.

"Sleep well, Princess." Ruby whispered as Severia laid her head down. "Nice necklace, by the way."

"It's my mother's." Severia whispered more to herself than to Ruby. She then said,"Goodnight, Ruby."

As Severia fell asleep to the sound of the wind outside of her window, she realized that Ruby could make any difficult day better. Even if they never said it, she knew they cared for each other.