You Were Right

December arrived slowly. Only a few snowflakes had fallen, but the spirits were high in Hogwarts. The Yule Ball would be coming up soon. This was a time for the students to celebrate the Triwizard Tournament and meet new people.

Severia was on her way back from breakfast with her friends from Gryffindor. Since it was Saturday, she didn't have to wake up extra early to make it on time. She made her way back to the Slytherin common room and swung open the door to find Draco and his friends in the center of a crowd. It was so loud, no one had noticed her come in.

"Draco! Who will you take to the Yule Ball?" A fifth year called.

"He has a girlfriend." A third year said.

"What does that have to do with it? You can never have too much fun. It is a party after all."

The fifth year elbowed the third year at Draco's reply.

"I just wonder what went through her mind, the poor girl. How could she think that people actually wanted to be around her. We just appreciated the excused homework assignments sticking around her gave us." The group laughed. "Besides if she keeps hanging around that mudblood, she might as well be one herself." Draco said and the room erupted with laughter again.

Severia pushed through the crowd towards him.

"How dare you! How dare you say that about Hermione and how dare you lead me to believe that someone like you could ever change!" She shouted. Severia was so angry, she felt like she was being crushed from the inside out.

"S-Severia, I didn't know you were here." Draco stuttered.

"I could tell." She got closer to him and lowered her voice, "This, whatever this was, is over."

"Severia, my love, don't make any hasty decisions." Draco said smoothly, trying to keep her from walking away. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her into him.

"Don't walk away from me, Severia. I didn't mean it." He whispered. It sounded like it pained him to do this, but Severia was so angry she didn't care.

She held her wand to Draco's throat.

"Take your hands off of me before I remove them." She threatened. He let go of her and stared into her dark eyes. They didn't glow like they did when they had talked in the common room. She showed no signs of even caring for him to begin with.

"Severia-" His voice was gentle now, so unlike the one she had walked in on. She gave him another disgusted look and walked away, pushing past the crowd once more.

How could she let this happen? She had just gotten her friends to believe that he had changed. Maybe she was so caught up in being wanted for the first time that she let it cloud her judgement. Maybe she let wanting the version of him that she created stop her from being with the version of him who actually existed.

For the first time since she was denied a Hogwarts letter at age 11 and for only the second time in her life, tears were creating a lump in her throat. She ran up the stairs and past a group of students near the Great Hall. She went out to the grounds and walked towards the edge of the woods, no destination set in her mind.

This was it, Severia Snape's first heartbreak.

She let the tears fall down her brown skin. The glow of the sun illuminating her. She was beautiful despite the tears.

~~~

Meanwhile, back in the Slytherin common room, Draco was left standing alone in a crowd of people. He sat down on the couch behind him while the rest of the students found their way out of the room.

He recalled the night Severia went to the library with Harry and Hermione. She must have thought that the common room was empty, because she let Harry take off the invisibility cloak. He stayed up so that he could wait for her to come back. Instead, he saw the way Harry looked at her. He saw how gentle he was with her. It was what Severia deserved.

"I could never give her that. Never in my life could I be her peace." Draco thought. A single tear streaked his beautiful face.

So he let her go. What better way to force her to leave than to make her hate him? He pushed the one good thing in his life away from him because he believed that he didn't deserve it. Not after all that he's done to those she loved.

And there it was, Draco Malfoy's first heartbreak.

~~~

Harry found Severia sitting under the large tree outside of Hogwarts. He knew to go looking for her when she missed lunch. Even if she skipped breakfast, that girl loved to eat.

"Severia? What are you doing out here?" He asked her. As he got closer, he could see that she had been crying.

"Sev? What's wrong?" He asked kindly. She sniffed and wiped her eyes.

"He-" Her voice broke, "You and Ron were right, Harry. He hasn't changed at all." Severia said looking up at him with puffy, red eyes.

"Severia, I'm so sorry." Seeing her like this broke him. Her beautiful curly hair was slipping out of the hair tie and sitting around the crown of her head due to the humidity. For November, it was awfully warm. Harry still thought she was angelic.

"Could you sit with me, Harry?" Severia asked him. He felt his lungs deflate.

"Yes, of course I can." He said, sitting across from her. She grabbed his arms and pulled him next to her. She was still strong for someone who had just cried for hours.

Her touch made him feel like he was a wooden match waiting to meet a flame.

"Thank you for finding me." She whispered to him. He nodded in return.

"Ron and Hermione are waiting inside for us, but you can take your time." He said to her as he pushed the short curls away from her eyes.

Now that he was here, she would be alright. Her friends would always be there for her, no matter what. With this in mind, she rested her head on his shoulder.

This was the fire that his match had longed for.

His cheeks turned pink and his hands began to sweat. He sat completely still, afraid to disturb her. He tried to steady his breathing, but he never quite found its natural rhythm.

Once Severia had started to feel better, they made their way back to the castle to meet their friends.