Severia III

Twelve Years Ago

"How will we know?" Severus asked Albus one evening.

"As a father, there are some things that should come naturally." Dumbledore replied.

They looked towards Severia, who was sleeping in her bed. If the moon wasn't bright enough, Severus had to put the night sky on her ceiling to keep her asleep.

"I have something for you." Dumbledore whispered, leaning towards Snape. He reached into his pocket and pulled out two boxes. One was rectangular and the other was square. He handed Severus the square one.

"I will give her this when she is seven years of age." Dumbledore opened the box to show Snape. It was a thin, golden chain with a small clasp. "Asha gave this to me."

"Why seven?" Snape asked, the mention of Asha's name sent a chill down his spine.

"That number means something to him. It is my reminder that I must understand why." Dumbledore said while putting the lid back on the box. He tucked it gently into his pocket once again.

"Eventually, you will give her that." Dumbledore said, pointing to the square box. Snape took this as a cue to open the lid.

He found a sapphire pendant wrapped in gold sitting neatly in the box. It was beautiful.

"Did Asha give this to you as well?" Severus whispered. He couldn't make eye contact when saying her name.

"She did." Dumbledore said sadly. "I'm sure she's proud of you, Severus. I can even tell you first hand that she's thankful."

Severus sighed as he put the lid back on the box. He looked at Dumbledore and waited for him to continue. When he didn't, Severus spoke up.

"Why me, Albus? Why do I have to do this? We both know that Asha should be here. Why couldn't you just save her?" Severus tried to remain calm, but the words tumbled out of him.

"Severus, it has to be you. Yes, she should be here, but she is not. Because of this, we need to adjust. We all have to make sacrifices in life and this was hers. There was nothing any of us could have done. Once that woman made up her mind, it was law." Dumbledore said, trying to comfort him.

As Dumbledore's words hung in the air, Snape let his eyes drift to his sleeping daughter. He imagined all that she could be dreaming about and hoped that he would be in them with her.

"When do I give her this?" Snape asked nodding towards the pendant in the box.

"When she is ready to know who she is." Dumbledore said.