19. You have no clue, have you?

After one awkward introduction and after a dreadful and long hour into the dinner Cassie was almost about to lose it, the tension she felt was unbearable. She sat opposite Billy, and she just knew that her boss had placed her there on purpose.

She studied Theo intently.

The way he continuously kept talking to her husband Brad and kept him occupied, filling his glass with more and more alcohol, also seemed more or less like on purpose.

She wasn't a fool.  She knew that he probably did it so that Brad would not pick up on the tension that was almost sizzling between her and Billy. 

All through this hour Billy had kept looking at her, not once turning his eyes away, making it almost impossible for her to eat the meal that had been served in front of her. Cassie swallowed and tried to look away, but that too seemed impossible. His dark and sensual eyes kept hers captive, and it felt like she was drowning in them with no chance to escape.

God, she could not take this anymore! She grabbed her glass with wine and emptied it in one swig, and just as she was about to excuse herself, Theo called for everybody's attention.

"Well, I have waited long enough now, and as you probably are wondering why I have arranged this dinner, "he smiled an enigmatic smile as he addressed his words to Cassie and Brad, "It's only fair that I share with you the reason for it."

Yes, please do, Billy thought to himself as he gave his father yet another deadly glare, I'm dying to know!

Cassie felt a nervous chill travel through her body. Everything up till now, the whole dinner, had been so tense and strained so she wasn't all that sure that she was going to like what was to come. She feared it tremendously.

"Wi . . . Billy here, " Theo corrected himself quickly and motioned to Billy, "is running a very successful company in Hawaii that I am doing  business with."

Billy's eyes widened and he clenched his teeth hard together. Now what?

"A week ago that collaboration got even bigger, and now I realize I need some personnel over there that can watch out for my interests and run things for me," he said taking a brief pause.

Billy rubbed his forehead and rolled his eyes discretely. Oh my god, he is lying his ass off. What the hell?

"So I thought, why not you Cassandra?"  Theo finally dropped the bomb with a broad smile.

In an instant both Billy and Cassie swung their heads in unison and stared chocked at Theo. WHAT?

Cassie felt her mouth run dry and she couldn't think of anything to say. Oh god. He wanted her to work side by side with Billy. She could feel her scalp prickle and she was positive that she was going to faint.  Almost positive.

Billy groaned inwardly, but he quickly gathered the mess of feelings he felt rising within him as he saw Brad raise an eyebrow on the other side of the table. He had to act.

"Yes, " he said, covering for his father but feeling like a total jackass as he was about to lie to Cassie," I cannot spare any of my employees, and since Theo is the one who profits on the collaboration, he has to spare the personnel."

Theo grinned at his son, giving him a knowing wink. You are doing well, William.

"But. . .but . ." Brad started with a slight slur, but he got cut off by Theo.

"Cassandra is the only one qualified enough for the job."

"She is?" Brad looked genuinely surprised, taking a sip from his glass..