Chapter 29

Hey lovely readers!
Just wanted to let you know that I am aware of many issues within this book and I will be redrafting, after I finish writing it.
I am currently working on chapter 40 at the moment, which means I have almost finished writing the book HOWEVER there will be a second book and the cover reveal is very soon, so make sure to look out for that x
Thank you again, enjoy! As always, I am open to answering any questions you might have ❤️

Recently I have been experiencing some health issues, mentally and physically, so I'm just trying to work through it all ❤️ aside from that I'm all good. How are you guys? And as always, love you all x

***************************

Three days. It's been three whole days, and I have no calls or texts from Ethan and Jason. I told myself I would text Mr. Lorenzo about it, but even the thought of exchanging private messages feels wrong. I don't care if he's a family friend or a business partner. To me, he's my lecturer.

The sun beats down as if summer is dawning. Ironically, I'm hibernating with these pain medications coursing through my system. In the brief hours of consciousness, Margret, also known as Miss Wendy, has been keeping me seamlessly entertained.

I have to admit, when we first encountered I thought I wouldn't stand her, but she's incredibly sweet.

Unfortunately, she hasn't had a single visitor in the past three days. I don't want to upset her by asking. Besides, I'm not doing any better on my end. I have no visitors, apart from Trey and Omar, who guard my door. I've glimpsed them in the hallway when nurses come in with food, but that's a passing moment.

It's late in the afternoon when the door swings open. Nurses aren't abrupt or chaotic in case we're sleeping, so when Mr. Lorenzo steps through the door in a clean grey fitted suit, I'm not surprised. I peer at Miss. Wendy, and I'm glad to see her sleeping. Mr. Lorenzo tends to take her breath away, and she's already struggling, even with her oxygen mask.

"No luck?" I clear my hoarse throat.

The hospital beds aren't the comfiest, but on the bright side, i'm not laying in them all day. They make me walk around, and let me tell you, it's awfully painful on the ribs.

He rubs the back of his neck. "They're at Matteo's house "

"Why?"

"He's helping them sort their lives out."

I offer a deadpan expression. "Are they that fucked?"

He shakes his head. "I don't know, Amara. They're just going through some things. It happens"

"What do you mean, it happens? Has this happened before?"

He looks at me, as though he holds all the secrets in the world, but they're trapped within him. Chained to his heart with honor. "People go through shit all the time." His eyes grow distant. "It's just how they cope. They work things through together."

I stare at the bed, wishing more than anything that I could run to them. I wish I could help them through their dark times, but I have to get through mine first.

This is just a setback. I will be back in shape in no time. But for now, I'm ready to be out of this room, away from the dull walls of this hospital.

He pockets his hands and stands at the end of my bed. "They have instructed me to take you home with me."

My heart constricts against my chest. "Since when do you take instructions from anyone?"

He cocks an eyebrow, and his prolonging gaze makes me self-conscious. He's a masterpiece, and I am the aftermath of colossal damage. "Since I agree with them. You can't stay at home by yourself in this state." His eyes never waver from mine.