Chapter 14

Hey guys! I just realised I haven't added Romero's age anywhere, so I'm going add it later when I do my third draft. He will be described as being in his early twenties, but you'll find out his age later on. Hope this clears up any confusion x

Ps: This book just hit 4K reads and I am so very grateful x
____________________

Messy bun, winged eyeliner, ruby lipstick, red off-shoulder dress... diamond necklace.

Okay.

I did consider if this was too much.

Ethan and Jason looked awfully shocked when I came downstairs, probably because it's the first time I've actually had a motive to put myself together.

Not that the motive is reasonable or appropriate.

By now, my nerves are hanging by a thread as Jason hands his car keys to the valet.

The rain has stopped for the night, but the winter chills are present. Not that it bothers me. My nerves are keeping me more than just warm. Any moment, our families will sit at a table together, with each one having a feud of their own, yet none brave enough to discuss it aloud.

As we mingle inside, I'm grateful for the dress in that moment. The restaurant is close to the city. Right next to the club, Camila and I went to. It's fitting. The place is modern yet high class. Almost everyone wears formal attire to draw tourists. Though only to convince them of its elegance. A blurred line between modern, chic and fun.

That's not to say heads don't turn when we enter, leaving me to wonder if I went overboard. Perhaps now, Mr Lorenzo will see straight through my demeanour. How can I even face him again after last night?

"Finally." Matteo bellows. "Thought you three died in a fucking crash."

You know Matteo; the idea doesn't sound awful. Jason smacks him on the forehead and Ethan howls with laughter. Despite the clatter of cutlery and chatter, Ethan would do a fine job at drowning out the silence by himself.

"No." Jason rolls his eyes "Amara here just takes forever to get ready."

I'm about to protest, but Matteo interrupts. He faces me for the first time since we entered and whistles in response. I have to stop my jaw from dropping. "I'm glad she took the time. Fucking hell" His eyes are bulging.

What?

"Tell me about it." Ethan exclaims "She went with Oomph legs."

Will the ground just swallow me whole?

"Oomph legs?" Matteo glances down. Here's thinking the dinner would be awkward for everyone. My face is on fire and I scurry to sit opposite Jason, which is right beside Mr Lorenzo. Great.

"Matteo." Mr Lorenzo warns his brother, but my brother fitfully ignores it.

"Yeh." Ethan exclaims "Oomph legs are when girls go bare legged without leggings or tights." Let's just bare in mind that I've never heard this term in my life. "I told her that's how she'll get all the guys-"

"Ethan, stop." I interrupt, perhaps a little too aggressively.

Matteo throws his hands up. "You're right." He bows his head. "Sorry, Amara. That was inappropriate."

Ethan gives a lousy snort. "You're not sorry, asshole."

"Oh, because you know me so well." Matteo challenges.

Beside him, Jason sits back breezily and watches the two bicker. I've lost complete interest in the three.

I can only concentrate on the man beside me. For a moment, I allowed myself the illusion that he did not exist, but his presence is too bold to miss. He sits tall in his fine fitted suit, sporting a sleek wrist watch. As always, a strand of hair strays from the rest, falling loosely over his black-rimmed glasses. He looks perpetually bored by the evening, sitting with his arms crossed, leaning back in what I hope is an unstable chair.