Chapter 9

"Why does it matter?" My head is groggy, but there's no denying the sharpness in my tone. I'm still asking myself why I haven't opened that door and fled. This man doesn't deserve my time.

"You're drunk."

"Are you just stating the obvious now? Or trying to make terrible conversation."

He clenches his jaw. "I'm not trying to make conversation Amara"

"Pity." I force a smile "Your voice is as pleasant as any other."

He cocks an eyebrow at my witty comment. "I don't appreciate the sarcasm."

"We're outside of class, Mr Lorenzo." I point out mockingly, "You can't reprimand me here."

"Can't I?" He muses, a dark edge to his tone.

Is that a trick question?

"No." I say at last. "You can't."

The room grows hotter, or maybe it's the alcohol.

He rises to his feet and offers his hand. "Let me take you home."

I let my back slide up the cold wall, refusing to get help. "I'm not done partying." Fumbling for the door handle behind me, I hold onto it for reassurance. I can imagine the lights flickering back off at my refusal to go home.

He puts his hands in his pockets and nods firmly. It's at this moment where I realise he's wearing a suit. A club is hardly a place for such formalities. "By all means Amara, go back downstairs and party." He appears relaxed, too relaxed. Perhaps I'm falling into another one of his devilish traps, but I'm too drunk to figure it out.

I hesitate on my feet, I don't wait for him to say anything else. I yank the door open, feeling the weight of his eyes on me. The compulsion to glance back overwhelms me, but I keep my head high and strut out the panic room, steadying my feet as I do. That man is compulsive, controlling. Everything I must run from.

Even my body rejects his presence, but my soul desires something about him. His inner demons.

I should run from him, because no sane person should have eyes so vengeful. They're on fire. Consuming every piece of sanity from anyone who comes in contact.

When the door clinks shut, relief overwhelms me. I've locked the devil away and I don't waste time in lingering around. 

*********

"Right, if I lose you one more time, I might go insane." Camila pulls me back towards the bar with a stumble in her steps.

I catch her before she falls, but I feel a little unbalanced myself. "I think that's enough drinks." Cautiously, I steer her away, but she twirls back around, throwing me off track.

"Not happening." She shuffles back into the crowd around the bar, gripping onto my hand as she does.

I bend my knees restlessly and straighten them again "Fine. Two shots. Last ones." I add quickly.

The bartender makes a pensive expression "No can do ladies. Apparently you two are underage."

Wait, what?

"What?" Camila jabs her finger at him "Listen Mr. If you don't give my friend and I another drink-"

"Okay, Camila" I pull her away quickly and she moves reluctantly.

She sighs, grabbing her bag a little forcefully. "How the fuck did they find out?"

I don't answer her, but I know exactly who the culprit is. Mr Lorenzo.