Chapter 47

I walk down the dark hallway, half expecting Romero to be in a corner somewhere.

It's not been long since I thought he was one with the shadows and dungeons. I mean- when I walked into this house for the first time; I convinced myself that it was too eery and quiet, and the house was so dark that it curved around him, bending at his will.

And now, it's almost like home, because the man who lives here is no longer a stranger.

I push his bedroom door open and find him sprawled out in bed; the sheets covering only the lower half of his body. The rest of him is open to the night air and his skin glows under the warm lamp beside his bed. Tanned muscles and thick arms.

I drag my eyes away and find him watching me with that easy, heart-stopping smile. "Hey."

"Hey,"

He pulls back the covers and I crawl in beside him, trying to keep my breath even. The man has an eye for subtle changes in my body.

"We're just sleeping, right?" I blurt.

I don't think my body can handle being touched by him again, not without having a stomach cramping orgasm or becoming blinded with exhaustion.

He gives me a bemused look. "Do I not satisfy you in bed?"

I slink into the sheets, fighting a smile. More than you know.

"Goodnight." I turn away from him and I feel his gaze burning into my back. Even after I have shut my eyes.

A moment passes, and the lamp clicks off. The sound of rain bathes the steep quiet, and the moon, with little effort, shines through the slits of his blinds.

When I least expect it, his thick arm wraps around my waist and he tugs me into his chest, nuzzling his face in my towel-dried hair. I shut my eyes, my lips parting in relief. I never knew how much I craved him until now.

"Watching you wither is enough to bring me to the edge." He whispers in my ear.

My eyes snap open, and I stare blindly at the wall. I don't sleep for an entire hour, and I don't think he does either.

****************

The bell rings and I shift. Light speckles of rainfall patter against the window, lulling me back to sleep.

A rattle pounds the door, and I jump awake.

Romero beside me is blinking away sleep, fluttering those thick dark lashes as he gathers himself.

We're tangled between the sheets, and somewhere in the night, I must have wrapped my legs around his waist. I pull away awkwardly and he stretches out his arms.

The doorbell goes off again.

"Were you expecting someone?"

He sighs and stands up, giving me an eyeful of his ass through those tight black boxers, then throws a bathrobe over my face to cover my eyes. "No," he mutters, his voice gruff with sleep.

I pull it away just as he slips his arms into his robe and heads out the door.

I cock an eyebrow and rise from the bed. I'm a foot away from the guest bedroom when I hear a sudden commotion downstairs.

"She invited me." A sassy voice rings loud and clear.

Crap.

I bolt down the stairs and when I hit the ground floor; I regret it immediately. "Ow!" I slump onto the last step, curling my injured leg to my chest.

"Mara." Camila yelps, running through the door. "What the fuck," she exclaims. "Are you okay?"

I rub my leg as if it might ease the internal pain. "Yeah, sorry. I'm fine." I dismiss quickly "What are you doing here?"