Chapter 48

Romero walks in halfway through our movie and nods briefly before heading through the hallway. I'm tempted to follow him. To question the darkness that seems to have overcome his features—but after moments of contemplation, the doorbell rings and I'm forced to answer it.

Camila grabs for the remote and pauses Girl's trip "I hope that's pizza."

"Yeah, expect from, we didn't order any." I point out as I swing the door open.

My fingers freeze around the handle as I take in the two men before me. Jason, as always, wears a formal shirt like he's ready to drop everything and head back into the office. Beside him, Ethan is in a loose pair of shorts and a dark T-shirt, not quite fit for the storm clouds.

"Amara," Jason nods, his blue eyes worn and wasted.

My shoulders tense at the sound of my name. It's been weeks since I saw or heard from him. And now he's here. My brain can't comprehend their presence. They're back. I have to shake myself to realise this.

Ethan cocks a wicked, taunting eyebrow. "So, can we come in, or?"

I stumble back, my eyes never leaving there's as they walk in.

"Christ, Mara." Ethan curses, though there's a muse behind that small smile. "Stop looking like that. We're your brothers, not some idiots off the streets."

That's debatable.

I manage to shut the door—because I'm incapable of doing anything else—and slink back into the living room. They follow me and I halt when Camila raises. Her eyes move as I inhale sharply, and when she sees who's behind me, her jaw tightens, and her eyes narrow in on Jason.

"Camila." Ethan sings, diverting her attention. "What's your pain in the ass doing here?"

"Would you look at that, you finally crawled out that dungeon of yours. Surprised you haven't drank yourself to death again."

He chuckles sardonically, "The day I die is the day I'll start haunting your sorry ass."

"Even through death, your soul had no purpose." She replies sweetly, her features fending innocence.

He rolls his eyes and slumps onto the sofa. "Where's Rom?"

"In his office." I shrug. My eyes find Camila—to warn her off from telling my brothers about anything she has learned today, but I find my secret is already safe with her.

I don't think I could ever tell my brothers about Romero and me. It would be suicide.

"Anyway," Camila says to no one in particular.

Jason has become a shadow, lurking in the corners of the room, but he's keeping a comfortable distance away from Camila. If I were oblivious to everything that had happened between them, I would have remained that way, if it weren't for the heated tension. The two never talked much before, so it's not a surprise that they're not talking now. But Camila is refusing to meet his gaze, and he is looking anywhere but at her.

"I need to head home, so I guess I'll see you guys later."

"You won't be missed," Ethan winks.

Camila throws up a middle finger and he grins at her.

"Text me," I tell her as we walk to the door.

"Oh, if only you ever replied."

I laugh "I promise I will next time."

We hug stiffly, only from the tension running through her, then pull apart all too quickly.

"Good luck with your job hunt."