Chapter 6

"Mr Lorenzo."

He lowers his hood. "Amara."

"What on earth are you doing?" I snap.

I should have known. The only demon hiding in the shadows is the man before me. What was his intention? If I hadn't turned around, would he have chocked me to death? Stabbed me? Maybe even kidnapped me. I wouldn't put anything past this man. After all, I know nothing about him.

"I take it you learned your lesson?" He narrows his eyes.

Lesson? What lesson?

He looks amused by my confusion, I can hardly concentrate though. My heart is beating so fast.

"Answer me this, Amara. On a scale of one to ten, how dumb do you have to be, to walk these streets by yourself at this hour?" He takes a daunting step forward, but even if my pulse slams against my wrist or my gut tells me to run, I will not cower against this corrupt man.

Instead, I do something that they never taught me to do. I take a step forward. "Why?" I tilt my head "Unsafe for a woman to be out this late? Don't think I can handle myself?" My heart burns for a challenge.

His mouth twitches with a smile. "This is hardly the time to bring up feminism, dear. It's unsafe to be out here, no matter what gender. "

"Why don't you tell me what you were really doing out here?" I taunt him. "Because it wasn't to teach me a lesson."

His eyebrows shoot up. "Because you know me so well?" His eyes flicker to something behind me and I follow his gaze. When I turn back, he's watching me again.

"What is it?" I frown.

"A fox" He replies bluntly and dangles his keys in the air. "I'll drop you home."

Drop me home? "I can walk thanks" I mutter. Getting in my professor's car is not on my to-do list. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Trusting this man is not something I can ever consider.

"So you learnt nothing?" His shoulders tense and his jaw ticks with impatience.

I shrug. "I'm being smart. The only man who's following me, wants me to get in the car with him. Lesson learned." Bowing my head, I turn on my heel and start walking.

"Amara." He calls out.

I shut my eyes briefly and reluctantly turn around. If the last word is what he wants, then the last word is what he'll get. From afar, his eyes are drunk on silver and his stubble looks sharply cut under the slash of street lights.

"You want to work for crowned enterprise, don't you?" He muses patiently, as though he has all the time in the world. Like the hour glass drips at his will.

"It would be a pity if you fail your course. After all, you can't work for a high-end company like your father's without a degree."

Where is he going with this?

"I suggest you get in the car."

"Or what?" My eyebrows lower as I take in this mans sheer form. He's a little larger than Peter and significantly taller. Compared to him, Peter is a boy.

"If not, say goodbye to your career."

Growing tense at his words, I stare down the quiet streets once more before facing him with a glare. "What makes you think you have that power?"

He steps forward again, closing the distance between us. "Who am I, Amara?"

An asshole.

His eyes flicker between mine, gauging my reaction. "You know, don't you?"