Chapter 3

The tour was more awkward than I expected. I took him around the entire house, top to bottom, purposely missing out the bedrooms, before ending up on the balcony. The man kept quiet the whole time, only stopping to pick up small artefacts collected by the family over the years. I can't blame him, nothing is interesting within the walls of our house. It's the same as any other, but larger than average.

The entire time, my stomach grew unsettled in his presence , and the chills returned. I wanted to sneak back under the covers of my bed, but I couldn't bring myself to be rude and leave our guests. Instead, I turned to the fresh outdoors.

We stand side by side now, with him watching over our streets, and me trying to act as natural as possible. The sun has set, leaving the warm glow of streetlights and houses to light up the outdoors. I peer at him every so often, holding onto every dull silence that resides between us. Though, I want to ask something desperately.

"So you're not working for the company then? Crowned enterprise, I mean."

He glances over his shoulder "Bold of you to assume." He muses, lifting his arms off the railings. "I work part time as a lecturer and part time through the company. Until my father retires, of course."

"So, we'll be working together?" I blurt out.

Beneath us, Jason's car pulls up onto the driveway.

"I wasn't aware you had an interest in the company." He pays them no attention. Instead, those dark eyes remain trained on me and the longer they do, the more pinched his expression becomes. It's unsettling. I fear he might bury me alive tonight.

I open my mouth to speak and glance at the door behind us. "We should head downstairs." I don't wait for him to reply, instead I work quick on my feet. As quick as I can, without appearing frightened. Though my heart betrays me. It beats too fast and my palms are sweaty.

"It goes in the fridge." Jason thumps Ethan on the back of the head.

Before I enter the kitchen, an earth shattering laugh breaks throughout the hallways. The sound is so familiar that I recognise it instantly. Matteo.

He's one of Jason and Ethan's closest friends, but when I watch him today, I realise he looks like a younger version of Romero. Bright blue eyes, dark hair and an intriguing smile. The only thing that sets them apart is their vibe. Where Romero is a brooding mystery, Matteo is a cheery man who lights up a room.

This evening just gets more intriguing.

"Amara." Matteo booms. He throws his arms around me and squeezes a little too tightly, like always. I've never had the guts to tell him the truth.

I have to take a few breaths when I'm back on my feet before I can say anything.

"You look miserable." He exclaims. "Have you been spending too much time with my loser brother?"

Romero shoots him a look and my mouth goes dry. He couldn't be closer to the truth.

I offer a weak smile. "Just feeling a bit under the weather. I think it's because I found out you were coming."

"Ouch." He laughs. "That backfired."

I cannot hide my smile. "Sure did. Hey Jason, can I talk to you for a second?"

He sets his other bag of shopping down and nods, following me out of the kitchen.

"What's up?" He frowns.

"Can you let mum know im heading to bed? I'm not feeling the best."

His frown deepens, and he reaches out to touch my forehead. "Are you sick?"