Chapter 39

I didn't sleep at all last night. Hell, I couldn't even pace because his walls are paper-thin. I keep replaying the kiss in my head. Who kissed who first? What was I doing with my hands? How long was the kiss?

The more I think about it, the more the images become a blur and the memories a tangled knot. The sun has risen once again and every hour that ticks have my palms sweating, so when a reasonable hour dawns, I attempt at a shower to prolong the inevitable.

A lesson lies downstairs, sipping coffee and nudging its glasses up the bridge of its nose, waiting to talk some sense into me. Did he kiss me?

I tug on a long, cream-coloured jumper and sit by the window, watching the peak of morning glow.

I keep looking at the door, worried he might come inside. Common sense tells me he won't be crossing any more boundaries, and sitting up here won't do anything but prolong my anxiety.

I take a deep breath and stand. You've been in worse situations, I tell myself. At least spiders aren't overpopulating the earth. I give my body a loose shake and open the door. Romero is standing at the opposite end, with a basic dark tee and black jeans, eyes narrowed at his phone screen.

When he hears me he looks up, and heat rushes to my cheeks.

He rises from the wall and pockets his phone, eyes never leaving mine.

I want to hide behind the walls of my room or the length of my hair, but backing away without speaking to him will just make things worse.

My heart catches in my throat. He's going to say something. I feel it.

"Romero?" A woman's voice rings from downstairs.

We both turn to face the ascending woman and I hold on to my crutches tighter, anxiously glancing between her and Romero.

I catch the sway of her dark blue dress through the railings and when she reaches the top of the stairs; I beam brightly.

Her greying hair is set tightly into a bun, and it pulls up her delicate smile

Turning to me first, her eyes soften with a sure grace. "Amara, dear. Oh, look at you." Her smile falls sadly as she approaches. "How are you, darling?"

"Hey, a little sore," I tell her honestly. It's been a week since the accident and my bruises are changing colour. I still have swollen lips - No, not from the kiss - and I'm feeling less like roadkill.

The cast is being removed soon to relieve the pressure, so I should be in top condition soon.

"I'm so sorry about what happened to you." She's tall. Exceptionally tall. But not as tall as Romero. "I hope my son is doing a good job of taking care of you. He slacks immensely." She winks, purposely rattling him.

I purse my lips. Was Romero made to look after me? My eyes dart towards him, and Evelyn changes her stance so that she can see the two of us.

"Romero, you have been looking after her, right?"

He cocks an eyebrow and my skin crawls. He shows defiance to his mother as well.

She narrows her eyes at him, and I suck in a breath. The two seem to uphold so much energy. I imagine their personalities clash often.

"Have you been here long?" I ask quickly, ceasing the tension.

She turns back to me, and this time, her eyes carry a cold, dead weight. Her smile is so small that I worry she might cry. "No, dear." She's quieter now."Why don't you come down? We'll have a cool glass of juice"

"Sounds great," I offer. My eyes dart once again to her offspring behind her before making my way downstairs. The entire time, I feel his eyes on me and my legs turn into jelly.