Chapter 33

Just wanted to wish you guys a great day ❤️

***************************

I set the plate aside and glance behind me. Through the arch leading into the library, I can almost see Trey. He's gazing up at the wall in deep thought, with his computer fading onto standby before him. Every few minutes, he sits up and scribbles something down on a notepad, repeating the manoeuvre a multitude of times. I feel like a creep watching him.

Grabbing my crutches, I slip off the stool and walk-in. The others are resting on big plush sofas by the panoramic window, talking animately amongst each other. They don't hear me come in, so I move in Trey's direction awkwardly.

I don't want to admit it, but he's growing on me. The rest are loud, verbal, and bold. Trey is just preserved and busy. He's less intense than Romero, and very in tune with his environment.

"Hey." He sets down his pen and pulls out a chair for me.

"Thanks," I rest my crutches beside me and look up at his computer. "What are you up to?" Realising my mistake, I pull back, feeling oddly intrusive.

He offers a bemused smile as if to tell me it's okay, but I don't look again, regardless.

"I'm the company's debt advisor. So I'm researching to see if we should invest in a startup company 'Rayn'. They sell drinks that are made from rainwater."

"Rainwater? Don't we get all our water from rain?"

"Yeah, we get water from lakes and rivers which companies then boil and filter. But many people don't know where water comes from and 'Rayn' is trying to highlight it to seem like something bold and fresh."

"So you're scamming people?"

His lip twitches with a smile, "It sounds bad, doesn't it?"

"Sounds like you'll have a small target audience because a large population knows where water comes from."

"Yes-"

"So you're selling water to dumb people." I enunciate "Your audience is dumb people?"

His eyes grow wide as if he's seeing it from a fresh perspective. I fight back a laugh. Water for dumb people? Can't say I've heard that one before.

"Stop boring the girl," Jackson calls out, rising to his feet.

"I'm not bored." I'm wildly entertained. If working at crowned enterprise requires this level of knowledge, count me in. I'll sell water to dumb people. I know plenty of them.

Cody slumps on the chair beside me, and the others follow him. A tight band wraps around my chest when they sit at the table. I'm painfully aware of my body. Every motion, bristle of hair, and skin cell. They haven't given me a reason to be uncomfortable, but they haven't given me a reason to trust them either.

I remind myself that they're Romeros friends, and Jason trusts Romero, so surely nothing can go wrong.

"Christ," Trey says. "Don't corner her."

Cody makes a scene at rolling his eyes. "She enjoys my company."

Shouldn't I be the one to say that?

Omar sits back with a challenging look as if he's finding it hard to believe. I, myself, am struggling to believe it.

"So," Cody sits up quickly. "What's the inner Goss? Are you two sleeping together?"

My jaw threatens to fall.

"Cody," Jackson warns.

"No," I defend quickly. Nothing is going on between Romero and me. He's my lecturer, end of.