Chapter 11

"Happy birthday." I dangle two gift bags in the air, drawing the delinquents away from their phones. Where Jason wears his classic 'You didn't have to' look, Ethan snatches it without a thought. I stifle a laugh. Poller opposites, yet dramatically identical.

"Is it an apple watch? is it an apple watch?" Ethan mutters under his breath.

"It's an apple watch," He exclaims.

I fend annoyance and roll my eye when he gasps dramatically. Truthfully, I adore him, even if he's a little nutty sometimes.

"You didn't have to."

We all know I didn't buy it. It was straight from dad's bank account, but at least I went through the effort to get it.

"Thanks Mara." Jason gives me a side hug and flinches back unexpectedly.

I peer down his body and open my mouth to speak, but clamp it shut just as quickly. I'm not meant to ask about his injuries. It's ritual in this house not to.

If they can't know about my dreams, then they're not willing to speak of their injuries. The only person I have ever told is Camila, and I hope to keep it that way. So I seal my lips shut and act like I saw nothing. On the contrary, I'm itching to ask.

"What do you two have planned tonight?"

"This idiot wants to stay in." Ethan nudges Jason gently.

"We're twenty-five, it's about time we wind down." Jason reasons. Though, we both know there's no reasoning with Ethan when it comes to partying. How did we end up with a wilding in our introverted family?

Speaking of family. I've acted like nothing's happened since mum left. They're oblivious to the fact that I know, and I'm not looking to bring up the matter soon. Especially tonight on their birthday.

It feels like we're a house of robots, unable to speak of one's emotions. But I see it loud and clear. Jason despises alcohol, yet tonight, he swirls a cup of liquor as if to ease his anxieties. Or pain.

They're hesitant, weary. I see that now, the more I watch their deflated postures. The distance in their eyes.

It's a good thing reading people comes easy for me... apart from with Mr Lorenzo. I may sense a vibe from that man, but that's as much as I can grasp. Deciphering any emotions from him is futile

"You should come with us tonight."

I swing round to face Matteo. He leans against the door frame with a vibrant smile. A contagious one at that.

Thinking back to Mr Lorenzo, it's clear now that he was taught to smile, rather than it coming naturally. It's haunting to think he that simple pleasantries bring him no joy. The two brothers are so far apart.

I wave him off. "Pass, not my scene."

"Oh, come on." Ethan insists. "Matteo's coming too."

All the more reasons to join? I think not. I feel like I'm crashing a guy's night out. Which I am. Narrowing my eyes at the three casual, laid back men in the kitchen, it's clear now that one of them is missing. "Where's Mr Lorenzo?"

Jason and Ethan exchange a glance "Mr Lorenzo?".

Crap. "Romero." I blurt.

Ethan gives me a funny look. "He's working tonight."

"I thought he was a professor? Why is he working at this hour?" I act naive purposely, knowing full well that he works for the company too.

"He's also a board director of Crowned enterprise. I think he's joining us later for drinks."