Chapter 16

"Okay, now I'm beginning to see it." Camila grimaces.

"I told you!" I exclaim. "He's an asshole." Finally.

I brushed over last night's car ride with the devil and alas; she sees him for who he really is. At least I hope she does.

"You did steal his ring though."

"Camila!" I yell.

She laughs. "Okay, fine. I'll agree with you this one time. Did he ask for the ring back by the way?"

The question brings back unbidden memories of the night he came to my room. It's been six days since that night and it still haunts me. I question why I got in the car with that psychopath. A last resort to get home? A dark pull? Who knows? I don't.

"He did." I frown. There's just some things I can't tell her. It feels sinful, almost.

"Now, are you going to tell me why we're standing outside the bowling alley when we have an exam tomorrow." I have spent the entire week stressing about this stupid test, but any time I thought about business, I would think about Mr Lorenzo and a hundred ways to strike an argument with that man.

"Well, remember how Peter was bragging about the amount of people he's met."

"Briefly."

She throws her hands up. "Well. I thought, fuck it. I can meet new people too."

"Uh, huh?"

"So I joined a dating website and got us a double date." She blurts.

My jaw drops. "You did not!"

She shifts, smiling apologetically. "Of course not."

"Camila. Don't play around." I warn.

"Hey, you Camila?" Bracing myself, I turn around.

I'm greeted by a man with a belly full of beer and blond grizzly beard. Not the attractive kind. It's untamed and wild. I suspect I might find his lunch in there somewhere.

"Yes, Ash?" She forces a smile. The sign is subtle but clear as the light of day. She's uncomfortable.

He grins, shinning a full set of yellow teeth. Breathe Amara. Breathe.

"This fellow er is ma friend. Greg."

Behind him, a skinny man appears. His hair, indelicately covered in oil from lack of showers, falls in frail strands on top of his head. With clothes washed out and muddy sneakers, I cannot see how he is date ready. If this is him at his best, I fear what he's like in his everyday life. High on crack? I must appreciate that he stayed sober at the least on our first date.

He grins and I offer a small smile.

Make that the last one, too.

"So, er, shall we head inside," Ash raises a playful eyebrow.

I suck in a breath and nod stiffly. Camila, you are up to no good.

It's deserted, so either the place is lame, expensive, or undiscovered. Pungent beer burns my nostrils and loud rock music plays with a screeching quality. Only a scatter of people populate the area, and amongst their smoke clouds, they hover around one pool table in particular. None of them seem civil by the way.

Camila glances around the place with a twinge of regret. "Would you like a drink?" She asks apprehensively.

I'd rather drink the toilet water at home. "No."

We head over to the reception desk and buy four tickets from a heavily pierced man. My skin crawls with discomfort and I text Jason to let him know where I am. Just in case....