Chapter 18

"Thanks for taking this stuff back to the house." Ethan shuts the boot of mum's car and leans back, exhausted. The previous owner had left a bunch of things after their company went bust, and they didn't care to clean the property before they sold it to Ethan. I think it used to be some kind of ninety's themed restaurant because there're multiple wigs and costumes.

I lean against the boot beside him and admire his cafe again. He spent the past week with interior designers trying to fix this place up on a low budget. Eventually he realised it was a lost cause because they cost so much money. So he did everything himself. In the end he went for baby blue paint, wooden furniture and warm lighting.

Homey.

"Ready to open tomorrow?"

He gives a brazen laugh. "Am I ready. Am I ready?" He repeats.

I give a bemused smile. "I'll take that as a no."

We remain silent for a moment longer.

He's lost in some ways. It's clear in the way he moves. This restaurant is new, ambition, and requires commitment. After his alcohol addiction landed him in rehab last year, he lost all sense of responsibility. But I see him picking up pieces of his life. For a moment, I feared he would turn to alcohol after loosing his job, which is why I built a mass of resentment towards Mr Lorenzo.

On the other end of the scale, Ethan has surprised me. I look forward to seeing this driven side of him.

"Listen. Nerves and fear are a clear sign that you're doing the right thing for your future. If you didn't feel any emotion, then I would be concerned"

He considers this for a moment, then pouts. "Maybe."

"I'm proud of you." I blurt out.

His eyes widen a fraction, and he clears his throat. "I'm proud of you too." Then purses his lips to stop from saying anything further. Losing the battle, he continues "Crowned enterprise-"

Scratching the back of his neck, he reconsiders his words. "If you aren't enjoying business. Don't force yourself. I know dad wants you to work for the company, but don't let that over rule your judgement."

Over rule my judgement?

"I mean- " He frowns. "Just consider what you really want."

Unspoken words linger between us and I want to pry him for more, but something tells me he won't say another word.

"I'm happy," the lie comes out before I can stop it.

He gives a lopsided smile. "Consider it?"

I stand up taller. "I think we both deserve ice cream after all that hard work." and there it was. A distraction from the major topic.

I've never had to do that about my career.

When I spoke to Mr Lorenzo, I gave him clear, cut answers, and now, I can't even speak about it with my brother. Everyone is clouding my judgement, and it's pissing me off.

He scrunches up his nose. "I wish Mara, but I really need to set up for tomorrow."

I offer a smile, darting my tongue out. Play it cool. "Fine, I'm still going without you."

He folds his arms "Bitch," He mutters. "Enjoy your shit shaped cones."

"Oh, I will." I smirk.

Switching on the engine, I don't linger a moment longer. The need for distraction pulls at me.

I peer at my phone one last time before heading off and a dozen messages flood my phone.

Camila.