Chapter 8

Camila isn't far. Whilst sandwiched between people, she sways her hips with a ferocity that only a person with pent up energy could have. I wish I could enjoy tonight as much as her. But I'm drained and still contemplating if it's Mr Lorenzo's fault or the night terrors. Or who knows, maybe it's the burst of anxiety attacks that creep up at inconvenient times. Whatever it is, I'm growing weak.

"Is that your friend?" My eyes skim back to the man behind the counter. Dressed in casual clothes and a buttoned up shirt, he appears laid back. You know, despite the mayhem of people drunkenly shaking empty cups in his direction.

"Yes." I manage at last.

"She a first timer?"

An awkward laugh bubbles from my lips. "That obvious?" I yell over the music.

"First timers hold this confidence about them." He answers in a matter-of-fact tone. "Over time, they grow tired of the thrill music gives them. She won't wear heels that high next time. She'll realise that dresses that short attract the wrong attention and she'll bring a hair bobble, because boy does it get hot when you're dancing."

"You analyse people." I muse.

He gives a wicked smile. "You're a first timer too."

"Oh?" I'm intrigued by his boyish smile.

"Hesitance to have a shot. Unable to thrive on the dance floor. Not your scene?"

"You couldn't be more on point." Am I that obvious?

"It might surprise you how much alcohol can shift a somber mood." He winks, nudging a shot in my direction.

Pushing away from the counter, he turns back around to serve more drinks. I watch him longer than I should, before clearing my throat and throwing back the alcohol.

It burns its way down my throat and I sputter like the amateur he made me out to be. What do they put in this?

Setting the cup down, I catch the bartender watching me. He moves closer, leaning against the table with his elbows firmly planted on top."Another one?"

I narrow my eyes curiously. "Depends." I push the glass back towards him "Are you trying to get me drunk?"

"Tipsy." He corrects "I want you to have as much fun as your friend over there." He nods towards Camila, who's heading back towards us.

She plants herself on the stool beside me and I reach out to help her keep balanced. "I can't believe I'm missing all the shot fun." She exclaims.

I roll my eyes and smile "many more shots to come." I ease the dullness in my tone. For her. She needs a girls' night, especially after the Peter incident.

Her eyes light up "Woo-hoo! Okay, two more shots and then you're dancing with me."

Two! I haven't let the first one kick in yet.

********

"There you are." Camila tugs onto my arm. We'd lost each other in the crowd for a moment. "Let's get another drink."

What number are we on?

"Welcome back, ladies." The bartender grins. "Two shots for you, and two shots for you."

Camila pulls them towards her greedily.

I have to shake myself to comprehend what I'm seeing in front of me. She will kill us both if this continues. Noting my hesitation, she nudges the drinks towards me, mimicking the bartender earlier.

"Oh, come on." She encourages, "I hardly feel a buzz. We need more drinks! Think about it. When are we ever going to live a night like this again?"