Chapter 2

Thank you for this beautiful cover wordflirt ❤️❤️

"You promised you would be here!" Mum agues over the phone. Hats off to her, she hates phones. I'm surprised she even managed to dial dad's number.

I stand far back, setting china plates on the table with caution. We only take these plates out for big events or special guests, which is a given, considering their price.

"I am tired of this Carlo. This is disappointing and you know it. How are we- "? She glances at me, then heads down the hallway and quietens down her tone. I'm not even going to question it. It's not my business.

"Boo!"

The plate flings out my hand.

Paling as it falls to the ground, I clutch my face in horror. At the last second, Jason catches the thousand dollar plate before it shatters, and I'm left glued to the spot.

My heart is erratic as he stands again to offer me the plate. I don't even trust myself to hold it anymore. Instead, I take a deep breath and whip around to face Ethan, who wears an inch of regret on his face.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking?" His voice cracks, and his bright blue eyes dart to his twin brother behind me.

Ethan can be so childish, that's its infuriating, whereas Jason is the mature one who sets our brother straight. Put two and two together, Ethan is the infant and Jason is the scowling parent.

Sighing, I shove a plate in his direction, and he grips it for dear life. "Did you get the dessert?" Let's hope he at least did this correctly.

His smile falls and he curses.

He's joking, right? Right? I only told him to do one thing. Mum wants today to be perfect, it won't be perfect without dessert! I take a deep breath again and behind me, Jason laughs hysterically. "You left Ethan in charge of dessert?"

Clearly it was a mistake. I yank the plate out of Ethan's grip. "Ethan." I say with utmost seriousness.

"Amara?" He's cautious.

"Go get the dessert and take Jason with you."

He nods instantly and backs away towards the door. The two of them bump shoulders near the plates and my heart almost drops. "Careful the china."

"Amara." Mum calls out.

"One second." I call out.

I set the last plate down and follow her down the hallway. In dad's office, an older man and woman accompany her by the window at the far corner, and as I step into the room, the two of them glance up.

The first is an older man, around dad's age. His greying hair is neat and cut short at the sides, and he wears a suit tailored to fit his well-built physique. His shoulders are stiff and straight, as though he's sporting his confidence and proudly doing so. Beside him, the woman carries a more nurturing look. Her faces soften when she sees me and her bright blue eyes smile pleasantly. Her greying hair is pinned back into a bun, and she wears a dark formal dress with a gold belt around her slim hips.

"This is our daughter." Mum says as I come to stand beside her.

"It's nice to meet you." I offer a small smile and shake both their hands. Where the woman's hands are soft and delicate, the man's are rough and rugged, as though a knife has sliced across his skin. I wonder what this man has been through. The soulless brown eyes tell me I don't want to know.