Chapter 4

I halt in my steps and observe the house before me. It's a two story building with massive windows, two black garage doors and a large drive way. Warm lights illuminate the house and its darker tones, giving it a rich exterior. With white pillars and bow windows, the home seems strangely ordinary. Though not suited for the man Mr Lorenzo is. I imagined dungeons and caves.

Outside, the pitter patter of the waterfall brings a sense of serenity to the neighbourhood, and birds perch on the sides, tipping their feet into the water with hesitation.

A few houses down, a woman walks her dog that runs and chases its tail meters away of her. I step out of her way as she walks past me, realising I look like a total creep. I'm standing outside of a house, staring at the building. His house.

A small red light blinks near the roof, and I curse. He has cameras. Imagine if he goes back to look at them, only to realise that I was standing outside his door for ten minutes without knocking. Or what if he's watching right now?

I blush at the thought.

That would just add to the ever-growing list of humiliating things I've done in-front of him.

Bracing myself before stepping forward, I head up the pale cobbled steps on shaky legs. On the inside, I'm having a battle with myself. What are the odds that he will look back at his camera footage? is it too late to leave? If I keep telling myself I'm being forced to do it, it'll make me feel better, right?

Pressing the doorbell with some effort, I squeeze my eyes shut. Who am I kidding? I can't do this. I can't. I just can't.

My heart beats in my ears and my hands grow hotter. Who set me up for this? Why didn't I stay behind at school today? Why didn't I drown myself in the toilet?

I'm a lost cause.

The door swings open, and my eyes snap open.

There's a moment of dead silence as my eyes rake over the man before me.

He's wearing a black shirt, unbuttoned to expose his vest, and blue jeans. When I meet his dark blue eyes, I get a sudden urge to flee. They're a river blue, a rush of current. When I watch his eyes, it's as though I'm watching the element of water, and behind me, the fountain continues to trickle.

Looking for pale cheeks, a pink nose and moist forehead, I come up blank. "You're not sick." I say after a beat.

"Amara?" His brows draw together.

"You're not sick." I repeat. "You're- I mean- you're supposed to be sick. I mean, this is for you." thrusting the soup in his arms, I step back.

He glances at the soup in his arms.

"Your mum sent me to give you soup."

He gives an incredulous look. "My mother sent you?"

I give a tight smile "Came as a surprise to me too."

"I'm sorry you went through the trouble, you didn't have to."

I kick a stone mindlessly. "They forced me to."

When I glance up, his face is stoic, as though the word forced is just another meaningless word in the English language. "I'm really sorry." Though there's no warmth in his words. "Let me make it up to you. Are you free?"

Maybe it wouldn't have happened if you didn't fake being sick to get off work.

"No." I say calmly. I need to get away. "It's okay, I was just about to head home. Touch up on a few business notes."

"I'll help you." He says. "Honestly. It's the least I could do."

My heart grows heavy with discomfort. I'm terrible at rejecting people twice, and I really don't want to go inside. When did life get so complicated?