Chapter 21

I'm not usually a nosy person.

Hmm, I take that back.

I'm patient, when I want to be. Today is not one of those days though. I haven't quite got my head screwed on, but I'm loosing my sanity for good reason.

I should probably take you back to my childhood.

We had boundaries as kids. Jason nor Chad would stand too close or hover. Not physically. I mean that, they weren't the kind of people who were overly involved in my life, and they still maintain that distance to this day. It meant I had to do the same.

But, I crossed one of those boundaries by far lengths a few days ago.

I know Jason has ties to Crowned enterprise, so it seemed only logical to start my investigation on him, because believe it or not, I did not have access to Mr Lorenzo's phone, so when Jason was in the shower, I snatched that fuckers phone so quick that I almost got whip lash.

He still plays candy crush. But that's besides the point. I stumbled upon a certain name. Romero.

I still remember the grin stretching across my face in that moment. The two heirs of crowned enterprise.

The texts were brash. The two had many disagreements about things I couldn't comprehend, because everything was in code. Well, not necessarily. The wording was just complex. Their most recent conversation was about the threat of dipping too close to their break even, whatever that meant.

Judging by the substantial amount of personal talk, they seem more like friends than business partners. Note the sarcasm.

16:25

Romero: You missed training.

13:42

Romero: training warehouse has a new location.

Since the invasion of privacy, Camila and I had run past many dead ends. The first on my list was; follow Jason on Sundays to see if he actually works on weekends. Which he does. I was hoping he had some kind of social life to be honest, but I guess the truth was better than more lies.

After that, we observed Mr Lorenzo's house for a few hours which was pointless because he stayed home all day. So the only thing I learned was that no one had a social life. Moving onto Ethan, we sought out his company at his cafe to snoop on staff grapevine, but the usual people, like Jackson, never went there like I hoped.

So now, as Camila and I pass out the city towards the countryside, I pray to anything above the clouds that today I discover a gold mine.

Your life is a lie, and you don't even know it.

The words still haunt me.

The annoying part is, a handful of people know exactly what he's hiding, excluding me. He's speaks of wild secrets, and now I'm questioning who's in on it. If Mr Lorenzo knows something about me, then surely my family does as well.

Rule of advice Mr Lorenzo. If you don't want somebody to find out a secret, don't make them crave answers.

"When I said 'we'll be out for a few hours', I did not mean bring a buffet." I peer at the back of the car, towering with snacks. The minutes of exasperating thoughts have me pecking at small treats, deluding myself that if they're small, the calories won't add.

"You will thank me later, bitch. Hand me my crisps," Camila makes grabby hands.

I stare hesitantly at the overwhelming pile that I've grown too comfortable with over the past hour, "Um. Which ones?"