Chapter 42

Your comments are giving me life! I Hope all of you are having a lovely week so far xx

Thank you for 40k reads! This book is officially 7 hours long!

*********************

Rivers are fierce and unpredictable. They lure you in by the wash of waves and drag you in deep. Before you know it, you're suffocating, gripping the rocks by the edge and splicing your fingertips.

It is not long before I realise; the river is Romero's eyes, the slosh of water is the wind, and I am gripping his arms to stop the currents from dragging him away. I know the word I must utter next is "yes", but I cannot brave it, for I do not know what comes after.

He is like the night. I do not fear the dark, but I fear the uncertainty of what might lurk amongst it.

"What are you afraid of?" He asks after a beat of silence.

I glance away, but he catches my jaw with the tips of his fingers, forcing me to confront him. "What are you afraid of, Amara?"

I suck in a breath and my eyes water the longer I hold his gaze.

You.

If colours could sing, the silver of his eyes would dance fires along my skin. The cold has never felt so hot against my bare flesh.

He stands before me, but for every second I remain quiet, he gets closer.

Mere inches away, he waits for me to pull away. If his lips find mine, I know I will burn. Burn until the days are blue and the skies are red.

"You know what I am afraid of," I tell him.

His eyes trail down my neck, "Tell me what you're thinking." His eyes meet mine again, this time with curiosity.

"Why?" I whisper.

"Because if you don't, I will have to walk away." He rests his forehead against mine, and I shut my eyes.

"What if I don't want you to?" The dark is making me bold and shameless. I take it for granted at this moment. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and the blanket slips from me, falling to the ground in a pile below us. It's as if a barrier has been stripped and we've both admitted the truth.

My fingers tighten around his thick shoulders as anxiety cripples me. It's too quiet, too warm. When I think it might get worse, he closes in the distance, and then his lips meet mine, suddenly, in a gentle coax, driving my eyes shut once again. My body falls flush against his and the heat between us radiates in a soft, warm bliss.

I am aware. But only aware of him.

His arms tug at my waist, pulling me closer, as if I might fall through his fingertips. Part of me believes I might. That maybe I'm dreaming about what I long for, but when his gentle lips claim mine and my knees shake, I realise this terrifying fantasy is real.

The skies melt away, and the wind gets caught between us. We're like two grey figures, stealing each other's air. Where he's tender and patient, I believe to be clumsy and lost. Every time I pick up the pace, he holds me tighter, warning me to slow down. His fingers denting my hips makes my stomach flutter and I pull away quickly, inhaling a shaky breath.

"Are you okay?" His rough voice, a bitter-sweet temptation, drives shivers down my back.

"You're so cold." He rubs warmth into my arms.

"I'm fine." My voice cracks and I clear my throat. "I'm fine." I smile shyly.

He frowns like he knows something that I don't. "Come on, let's head inside."