kalopsia

𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐀 | (𝘯

𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐀 | (𝘯.) the delusion of things
being more beautiful than they really are.

"TELL ME EVERY TERRIBLE THING

YOU EVER DID,

AND LET ME LOVE YOU ANYWAY."

- edgar allan poe

FROM THE TIME SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL, DAKOTA THOMPSON HAD A DEEP FASCINATION FOR ALL AROUND HER. To say she was merely eager to learn about anything and everything would be a substantial understatement; the girl needed discovery as much as she needed air to breathe.

Her unfailingly pure outlook on life was always refreshing to the inhabitants of the Ark; the small child a sense of peace to them as their minds remained confined within the gloomy realities of being trapped in a colorless, dreadful metal structure floating meaninglessly through outer space. United Ark Federation, or the Ark, had been formed when a nuclear apocalypse wiped out everything 97 years ago; leaving earth an unsurvivable place of doom.

Those who knew Dakota found her unwavering amazement towards monotonous things endearing, but when she grew well into her teenage years and into young adulthood, their opinions had changed when the almost-eighteen year old girl still maintained her same childlike sense of wonder.

What was once considered precious and labeled a beacon of hope among fellow Arcadians was now chalked up to naivety and immature ignorance simply because she'd grown up; how that strange, foolish and impractical girl was living in her own fantasy world.

But, lucky for her, Dakota didn't mind the comments or incredulous looks she often received; for she quite liked her so called fantasy world.

The rude judgments didn't stop there, for they were mostly directed towards Dakota's mother, who had unhesitatingly fostered her creativity and avidly encouraged her to always be blindly optimistic from the start.

Lowis Thompson was one of the few people who viewed her daughter's quixotic mind that always thirsted for new knowledge and new things to find joy in as a strength, along with having such a sensitive heart; which is another thing Dakota had inherited from her.

How the bright-eyed, bushy-tailed girl wound up in the depths of the Sky Box- aka prison- was a hot conversational topic for the first few weeks of her incarceration; her crime a mystery to citizens of the Ark. Most figured she'd done something harmless, and of course, on the Ark, all crimes were punishable by death. Others speculated that the superlatively guileless girl had snapped and done something unimaginable, since she had been arrested only a week after her seemingly innocent mother was abruptly floated for murder. Neither hypotheses were totally wrong.