009 in peace may you leave the shore

CHAPTER NINE
( in peace may you leave the shore )

CHAPTER NINE( in peace may you leave the shore )

SEPT 18, 2149
DAY SIX ON THE GROUND

LUNG ━━━
VANCOUVER SLEEP
CLINIC

" because i can't breathe.
oh, come and help.
somebody help me out. "

"KILL ME."

Atom kept pitifully repeating the words as the rest of the hunting group surrounded them, Dakota's heart pounding so loudly in her ears she could hardly hear his hopeless, frail pleas. When she looked back up to Bellamy's face- blurred by the warm tears obscuring her vision- every ounce of strength had vanished from his usually cocky and confident features. Fear had engulfed him wholeheartedly, and every threat he'd ever spat towards Jasper or even Clarke became meaningless just like Dakota knew it always was; Bellamy Blake didn't have it in him to take away a human life so easily. Here Atom was, suffering endlessly and despairingly begging him to free him from his torment out of sheer mercy, and the mere thought of that had caused Bellamy to tremble. He was all bark and no bite. He was no killer; he was a frightened boy being faced with a cruel and impossible situation.

Panic riddled Dakota as Bellamy rose slowly to his feet, his attention still trained on the atrocity. From the chilling haze cast over his now gray eyes, Dakota could assume the deadly fog had snatched away Atom's ability to see, yet it felt like he was staring straight into her; like she could see every part of him and he could see every part of her. Maybe it was the utter intensity of the moment willing her to believe this, or maybe his vision wasn't all the way gone, but Dakota felt as if she was entangled in a long stare with death itself.

"It's okay, you'll be ok. We'll find a way to help you, you're not gonna die." she determinedly breathed, forcing a smile onto her face in the rare chance that he truly could see her; unable to stop the two tears racing down her cheeks at equal speed.

"I- c-c-can't- breathe- breathe." he croaked breathlessly, the absolute anguish on his face shattering Dakota's heart as she stayed crouched by his side; biting down hard on her bottom lip with a puny whimper to keep from slipping into sobs.

"We're going to help you. We're going to get you back to camp, just like we did with Jasper, and we will make you better." she shakily told him, suddenly sounding as if she was trying to convince herself more than anything; clinging onto the last ditch hope that she wasn't about to watch this boy die a painful death.

"Don't be afraid." Charlotte's eerily calm voice caused her to turn her head away from Atom; her eyes widening as she watched the little girl slip her small knife into Bellamy's hand. He clenched his jaw, forcing a brave and unbothered air onto his face.