007 lost cause

CHAPTER SEVEN
( lost cause )

SEPT 17, 2149DAY FIVE ON THE GROUND

SEPT 17, 2149
DAY FIVE ON THE GROUND

HIS PHYSICAL SUFFERING WAS DAKOTA'S MENTAL TORMENT, DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF PAIN not having released it's merciless grip on the two teenagers in over 70 hours. It was going on three days of Jasper's inconsolable moans of anguish, the immense pain gnawing away at him never ceasing.

Dakota still remained strong in her fervent belief that he would be okay, she knew he would be; It just didn't make witnessing him undergo such agony any easier. Neither did the vicious shouts from the rest of the delinquents.

His harrowing cries and groans resounded through the drop ship day and night, which in turn, had brought out the ugliest and cruelest parts of the rest of the camp's hearts. Within hours of the first night of the injured boy's return, the criminals' patience had maxed out, and most of them had resorted to yells of malevolent threats and atrocious wishes for his death. It was nearly unbearable, and caused Dakota's heart to wrench painfully inside her chest with each added insult; the girl silently praying to herself that Jasper was unable to hear their barbaric words amidst his half-conscious state.

Sleep had become a foreign, once beloved concept to many of them, but especially to the few who had barely stepped foot outside of the drop ship in the last three days. Dakota among this small few.

"His pulse is thready." Clarke noted, her fingers pressing gently on Jasper's wrist; her focused eyes not leaving the silver watch- which had once belonged to her father- that she held over his body.

"Is he tachycardic?" Dakota asked worriedly, her hand gingerly and unendingly stroking Jasper's sweat and dirt-ridden hair as she sat next to the Griffin girl by his side; wincing with tear-thronged eyes at each of his loud and misery-filled groans.

Clarke nodded disquietedly as a response, Dakota gulping.

"Go back to sleep!"

"Quiet!"

Two more angered shouts sounded from somewhere among the drop ship, Dakota stifling a woeful whimper as best as she could; a tear racing down her cheek as she exchanged a look with Monty, something they did each time someone called horrendously to their best friend.

"Don't listen to them, you're gonna make it through this. Okay? Promise." Clarke whispered, scooting down closer to the boy as she caressed his damp face; Dakota hastily wiping her cheeks as she smiled reassuringly to Jasper, even though his eyes were closed.

"Can he just die already?!"

The Thompson girl squeezed her eyes shut momentarily, trying desperately to reconcile their reasoning and motives behind their harsh and bitter words; not wanting hatred to potentially take root in her heart. Still, it didn't stop her from being angry.