057 worth the risk

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN
( worth the risk )

OCT 25, 2149DAY FORTY THREE ON THE GROUND

OCT 25, 2149
DAY FORTY THREE ON THE GROUND

RAVEN HADN'T LEFT FALLON'S SIDE SINCE THEY'D MANAGED TO RESCUE HER FROM THE BARBARIC DEATH she'd almost been captive to. She'd stayed by her side through every stitch Abby wove into her blood-stained skin, every piece of gauze that had been placed, and the re-wrapping of her forever mangled arm— the poor limb having taken another beating today from the tight rope.

Now, she sat next to Fallon's cot on the dirt, legs sprawled in front of her as she tampered with her beloved radio sitting in her lap; eyes drifting back up to the slumbering girl every so often.

For days now, she'd been trying to rig the device to listen in on Mount Weather; hack into their system and learn all their grimy secrets. She'd done it once before, but they were in a much closer range that time— and she hadn't been bogged down by the nauseating image of her ex-boyfriend hanging dead from a wooden post that time either. Desperately, they needed inside information, and desperately, she needed her mind off of Finn— whose lifeless body seemed to be plastered to the inside of her eyelids every time she dared to close them.

"Damnit." she huffed exasperatedly, shaking her head as she repositioned the antenna for what felt like the millionth time. The adjustable rod folded once again against her will, prompting her to grit her teeth; complaining even louder this time. "Damnit!!"

"If you don't shut the hell up I'm gonna have to find another lake to throw this damn radio in." Fallon abruptly grumbled, Raven's eyes bulging as they shot up to the blonde; who was rubbing her eyes with a soft groan.

"You're awake!" she grinned with an airy laugh, forgetting the receiver entirely and ditching it on the dirt; grunting as she drug her immobile leg up and took an eager seat on the edge of her cot.

"Yeah, thanks to you, asshole." she irritatedly murmured, wincing as she sat up. She propped herself onto her elbows, knitting her brows and glancing around the spacious tent. The air was chillier now and she could vaguely see the glow of a nearby fire outside. It was night. "How long was I out?"

"Only a couple of hours." Raven shrugged, her sparkling smile slowly fading. "Fallon," she started quietly, instantly catching the hotheaded blonde's attention with the sudden sobering of her voice. Her chestnut eyes snapped over to the mechanic, face furrowed in confusion as she watched the girl's eyes gradually gloss over; her breath hitching in her throat as she emotionally spoke up. "What you did for me—"

"No, stop. Stop it." she immediately shook her head, sitting up even further; clearly not interested in engaging in a heart to heart with her about this— or really anything, for that matter.