026 unity day

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
( unity day )

OCT 1, 2149DAY NINETEEN ON THE GROUND

OCT 1, 2149
DAY NINETEEN ON THE GROUND

MEET ME AT OUR SPOT
━━━ THE ANXIETY,
WILLOW & TYLER COLE

" i just wanna look into your eyes,
i just wanna stay for the night. "

DAKOTA THOMPSON LOVED UNITY DAY. She always had. She adored the sheer optimism it kindled; adored the beacon of hope that it was. Here on the ground however, her love greatly expanded for it when they had made it their own; new traditions for the holiday being formed by the delinquents themselves. Everything they did here right now was revolutionary, and the mere knowledge of that made a smile appear on her features.

Currently, she was standing between Fox and Miller among a small crowd as she observed Jaha giving a speech to both the Ark and the ground alike on a tiny screen; mildly distorted and blurry, as always. She pulled Fox's hand away from her mouth when she caught the girl gnawing on her nails through her peripheral vision, finding it endearing how the 15 year old was utterly engrossed in the telecast.

"My friends, this is an historic Unity Day." their Chancellor promulgated proudly, able to be seen glancing among the gathered Arcadians from the screen; even though Jaha was all the hundred could see from their point of view.

"Every year we mark the moment our ancestors of the 12 stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year.. on the ground!"

Staticky applause erupted from the speaker, the cheering on the Ark so vivacious as citizens celebrated. A few of the teenagers lurking about watching the live broadcast rolled their eyes or scoffed lightly under their breath at this, but it only made Dakota beam; she was excited they were no longer doomed to perish of oxygen deprivation. She was excited that earth would soon be nurturing them within her loving embrace too; there was enough to go around.

"Right." Miller nodded to the screen with a sarcastic smile before gesturing out to the small group, one hand in the pocket of his jeans.

"After we did all the work. Someone shut him up."

"You shut up Miller. No one's forcing you to watch." Raven riposted with a relaxed smirk, causing the boy's face to fall in slight embarrassment as he firmly sealed his lips.

Dakota grinned, reaching up and pulling the front of Miller's dark gray beanie over his eyes in attempts to get him to bust out another smile; though he only swatted her hand away in annoyance. It was fine, Miller pouted meaninglessly a decent amount; he'd be over it in a short moment. The two had grown closer since telling Diggs and John's parents of their children's passings; a bond having been formed rather quickly in the midst of their shared hardship.