053 the cerberus project

CHAPTER FIFTY THREE
( the cerberus project )

OCT 19, 21 & 22, 2149DAY THIRTY SEVEN, THIRTY NINE & FORTY ON THE GROUND

DAY THIRTY SEVEN, THIRTY NINE & FORTY ON THE GROUND

ALL COMES DOWN
━━━ KODALINE

" you were lyin' to me, i lose
control, oh, I didn't know,
so just leave me alone. "

DAKOTA WAS BY LINCOLN'S SIDE WITHIN SECONDS. She unhesitatingly jerked open the door, ditching the forgotten key card she had dropped on the floor as she raced over to the restrained grounder; gasping when she saw his wretched state.

His pupils were bloodshot and dilated, his entire body covered in a sparkling layer of sweat; skin washed out and pale. Each muscle was tense and abnormally flexed, as if he couldn't relax them even if he wanted to; his body tied in diabolical knots. He convulsed every once and a while against the table, growls and grunts of what she was certain was pain muffled by the dirty gag. It was also obvious the leather straps around his ankles, wrists, and neck were far too tight; compromising his circulation.

"Oh my gosh, oh no, oh my gosh. Lincoln..." her voice could barely catch any volume, words leaving her lips as hoarse whispers.

She was scared to even touch him in this state— scared to hurt him. Her eyes narrowed at the minuscule markings on his neck; the girl leaning closer to get a better look. She grimaced at the heat radiating off of him; his fever high. Her heart skipped a beat; they were needle marks.

"What are they doing to you?" she murmured in horror beneath her quivering breath, blinking back a set of tears when another groan of anguish came from the man; his fingers curled into fists of iron.

The Thompson girl shook her head, pushing away all the concerns and fears swarming her mind and focusing on her friend in front of her; doing her absolute best to stay calm for him.

"Okay, Lincoln. It's gonna be alright. I'm gonna get you out of here, okay?" she declared loudly and clearly to him, confident he was fairly disoriented from whatever the needle marks on his neck were from.

Staring straight into his red eyes, she swiftly removed the gag from his mouth; pushing the black cloth down to his neck. A savage, piercing bellow instantly ensued; the girl jumping back from the table at the booming noise. Soon, though, the convulsions picked up their pace again, Dakota stepping back up to his aid. He clenched his teeth as he berserkly thrashed about, her eyes widening when he began foaming at the mouth like a rabid animal.

"Lincoln?!? Lincoln!" she heaved in a panic, her trembling hands fumbling to unbuckle the leather strap around his neck first; quickly moving to unleash his closest hand afterwards.