027 acts of war

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
( acts of war )

OCT 2, 2149DAY TWENTY ON THE GROUND

OCT 2, 2149
DAY TWENTY ON THE GROUND

SUNLIGHT TRICKLED THROUGH THE SEA OF EVERGREENS AS CLARKE, FINN, AND DAKOTA ALL EMERGED to find a restless Octavia pacing along a moss-enshrouded stone bridge; movements governed by impatient anxiety as she shook her hands by her sides.

"So that's how you set this up." was the first thing Clarke said upon reaching the Blake girl.

"You helped him escape, didn't you?"

"I trust him, Clarke." Octavia answered honestly, merely pursing her lips at the accusatory and mildly frustrated tone of the blonde's voice.

"There's a lot of that going around." she mumbled, eyeing Dakota and Finn; the dark-haired girl gulping.

The Thompson girl could understand Clarke's rightful worry and hesitancy; they had a horrible track record with the grounders, after all. But she knew Lincoln was good, and she knew there were others like him, and she knew they would attain peace.

"Someone's coming." Finn's head suddenly snapped up at the sound of approaching footsteps, everyone's eager gazes falling to the opposite side of the long bridge.

Octavia didn't waste a second when the large figure covered in fur and leather revealed themself to be Lincoln, relief rushing over their features as they met eyes and jogged urgently towards one another; the man opening his arms for her to jump into, which she instantly did. He held her securely for a long moment, lifted easily in the air; the two clinging onto one another in endearment.

"They're like the apocalyptic Romeo and Juliet." Dakota smiled brightly, the other two watching in uncertainty. He smiled warmly at the brunette upon setting her down, his gaze hardening when he peered over her head at Clarke and Finn; softening instantly up as he nodded to Dakota, who was a friend to him.

"Hey, Linc!" she waved merrily to him, earning a small smile from the man.

It was then that the thundering of hoof beats could be heard coming from the forest, along with bonny neighing and whinnying. Dakota's eyes widened in amazement at the equine family trotting onto the bridge.

"Oh my God... horses." Clarke breathed in awe, irises lighting up as an entranced smile pulled at her lips.

"Woah." the Thompson girl whispered with the same expression.

The two first ones had coats sleek and dark; mimicking the color of the parts of space visible from the Ark that were never surrounded by the soft glow of starlight. Their long, frizzy manes ran wild; two grounders shielded with thick masks and armor aboard the large animals. The final one, slightly behind the other two and claiming the middle spot, was a striking chestnut color; a stripe of white running down its face and onto its long nose. Straddling that horse was a fierce looking woman, defined cheekbones with beautiful olive skin; black warpaint smeared across her eyes, making them appear to be sunken in when they really weren't. Her thick, multicolored locks rested in front of her shoulders and over her back; several parts of her hair twisted into braids and dreads. Her ebony coat rode all the way to her booted legs as she slipped easily off of the animal, entirely unafraid with no hint of sentiment.