A teachers curiousity

Chabashira-sensei urged my older brother and Tachibana-san to leave.Once they were gone, she looked deeply interested, crossing her arms before her on the table.

"So these are Horikita's thoughts. I finally have the chance to look at your thinking process. It is also a change of pace." I say. I have the chance to see how another person thinks. That is a fun opportunity. If her thoughts are shown later too, I can see how she has changed in a year.

People just stare at me with unreadable expressions on their faces. Did I say something wrong? People seemed relatively unaffected by other peoples troubles, so why are they so sad now? It is a different magnitude I guess. I will have to look this up.

But it works for me, I need to keep their mind of it, so they do not work through what I said before. I need to keep those feelings raw for when the event happens, so they will not even think to disagree. I do not know how many events it will take to reach my "secret." Right now as an example, Horkitia's thoughts are shown, so other peoples mind can also be used as a video.

"As long as you enjoy it Ayanokouji-kun." Is all she said. Horikita feels really guilty for ordering me around. She should not be bothered, If I truly did not want to do those things, I would have not.The only person to truly force me was sensei.

"So. What methods did you use, Horikita?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't try to dodge the question. They wouldn't withdraw their complaint without a reason, would they?"

"I'll leave that to your imagination." We'd fabricated a lie because we were backed into a corner.

"Lie? So there were no cameras?" Ishizaki says surprised. Wait, did Ryuen not tell him?

"Of course they were lying you retard. How dumb are you?"Sneeres Ryuen.

"Do not be too harsh. We pressured them till they broke and gave them no chance to consider everything logically." I say. Ishizaki is not that bad of a guy and I also need to seem friendly. I also want to drive a conversation as I said. People should have as little time as possible to think.

"Tch." Is all he says. He does respect me a lot, huh.

Others from his class look at me with wonder. Ryuen is not the type to be directed with words, so it is surprising.  No one really wants to ask why though. Ryuen is really intimidating to others. 

"So it's a secret, hmm? Well, allow me to change the question. Who came up with the strategy that defeated Class C?"

"Why do you care about that?"

"Ayanokouji isn't here, so I'm a little curious."Chabashira-sensei had been rather preoccupied with Ayanokouji-kun ever since we started school. I could somewhat understand why, now.

"I don't want to admit this, but Ayanokouji-kun...might have something exceptional to him." I surprised myself by saying this, which could be taken as an admission of defeat. However, our victory would not have been as decisive without him."I see. So you recognize that, hmm?"

"Is that surprising? You were the one who first put me together with Ayanokouji-kun, Chabashira-sensei. You did it because you couldn't overlook Ayanokouji-kun's potential, right?"

"His potential, hmm?"

"Though he does try to hide his ability by pretending to be an idiot, for some mysterious reason." Yes, he was truly incomprehensible. I could not find meaning in such behavior. It was likely that he was simply being absurd. 

"I apologise Aynaokouji-kun, for dragging you in to the class battle." She whispers to me.

"You did not know, and I do not really mind. I did some horrible things to you too."While I do not feel guilty, connecting with her now will make her defend me even more. I know she has respect for me and now guilt. If I make her feel more connected, it will help with this and other issues that might come up.

"Horikita, I must warn you, that something shocking might come up. Know that my opinion has changed since then."If I trust her to defend me this much, that might be true.

She looks like she wants to ask, but decides not to. I can risk telling her this now. Other people notice us whispering, now they are talking about our relationship again. That is an unintended benefit. They will wonder about our relationship again, especially with how hard she looks to have reacted to this. It looks like a huge contrast to her normal face.

Manabu looked at us even.

"Ayanokouji, have you maybe reconsidered my offer? You still have my approval." As he says this, I look at him, bewildered. That is how normal people ould feel anyway. He means the offer about Horikita. Before I can answer, other people start murmuring things. I hear words like offer and approval thrown around.

"W-What offer Horikita-senpai?" Says Sudo. While he said that he wants Horkita to be happy with anyone she chooses, seeing Manabu like this must be disheartening. He does not know for what, but I have his approval.

"No, but I have a question. May I call you Manabu?" I have wanted to meet him after these years of high school, but I thought it was impossible. Now though, I will take this chance to know Manabu better.

"I do not mind if it is you. Them I will call you Kyiotaka." I just nod.

"May I ask why, though?"

"A man of your caliber should know already. Even though we have not had many conversations, I think you know me better than most. I also want to get to know you on a better level, now that I have the chance." It is true, while our relationship is unorthodox, the respect we feel for one another is genuine. I want to get to know the man that is respected by so many. While we can analyze each other, that and exchanging ideas and talking is another thing. I have grown to feel well in the company of the Ayanokouji group. There is no reason I could not reach that stage of companionship with Manabu. Who knows? Maybe, because he is better than most, I will actually bond with him a bit.

I can only do this now because the plan is almost certainly a success. Others are looking bewildered at the situation. All they saw was us coming to blows, so to them, us bing this close is unexpected. Even with both Manabu and Nagumo talking about me, it looked like they talked about talent and not someone they had a nice relationship with.

Manabu just smiles and nods.

"Why is it always you?"Says Horikita with a sour expression on her face.
That is her brocon side rearing its head. I was wondering when it would come out. 
"Well, I will allow it. I guess."She says, after thinking for a couple of seconds.

"There are various things to consider. But if you want to reach Class A, I'll give you one bit of advice."

"Advice?"

"The students in Class D all have some kind of defect, more or less. To borrow an expression used by others in this school, Class D is an assemblage of people that could be called 'defective products.' You already understand this quite well though, don't you?"

"I don't intend to admit that I have a defect. But I do understand."

"Well, what do you think is Ayanokouji's defect?" Ayanokouji-Kun's defect...One thing immediately came to mind.

"We've already established it. He already knows what his own defect is."

"Oh? And what is it?"

"He 'dislikes trouble,'" I answered, with confidence. However, I felt a strange sense of discomfort that I couldn't explain.

"He dislikes trouble, hmm? Is that what you perceive when you look at Ayanokouji?"

"No... It's because he said it himself."Chabashira-sensei snorted and chuckled. She spoke again, her tone firm.

Horikita just looks embarrassed, that she was fooled by me so easily. Ryuen on the other hand.

"So the school knows about our past then. They have to, to decide if we have defects or not."That is Ryuen monstrous intuition. He truly is one of a kind in that sense.

Others start thinking now. So they have not thought about their placements much, aside from being unhappy with them. It is hard to recognize your flaws and work on them.

"Well, Horikita. Let's try to learn as much as we possibly can about the boy called Ayanokouji, without delay, shall we? Otherwise, it'll be too late. You already seem to have fallen into Ayanokouji's trap."

"What do you mean?" Fallen into his trap? That was nonsense.

"Why do you think Ayanokouji purposefully got scores of 50 points across on the board on his entrance examination? Why do you think Ayanokouji is helping you? Why do you think that Ayanokouji doesn't put himself forward as a superior student, despite having superior ability? Is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka really someone who 'dislikes trouble'?"

"Before any questions come, I did 50 on all tests, because they do not really matter. Other things decide if you are accepted by the school or not." It is not harmful to say this. The smart people have realized it after Ryuen talked about them knowing our history and those who did not, do not really matter.

"That's..."If he truly wanted to prioritize peace and tranquility, then why score 50 points in all subjects and allow himself to draw this much attention? Had he deliberately poked his nose into this incident as well? I wondered if he ought to have been carefully monitored, like many other students. As Chabashira-sensei said, his behavior didn't fit the pattern of someone who "disliked trouble." That unconscious realization must have been the cause of my earlier discomfort.

"In my personal opinion, Ayanokouji is the most defective student in Class D."

"He's the most defective?"

"Higher functioning products are more difficult to handle. If you misunderstand how to handle him, the class might be completely destroyed in short order."

"Chabashira-sensei, do you really understand what about him can be considered defective?"

"Get to know the person called Ayanokouji. What is he thinking? What focal point does he base his actions around? What is his fatal flaw? There's definitely an answer there."

Why was Chabashira-sensei telling me such things? As our homeroom teacher, she usually appeared unaware of and unconcerned with her class. But, if someone so disinterested thought this way, then...Chabashira-sensei said nothing more.

They do not want to say much about it. My flaw is clear to see, at least to them, I can not be productive in society if I am socially and emotionally bellow par. It also brings up what I said earlier and that topic is not to be touched.

A/N: Shorter chapter here, cuz there is not much to react to. I choose this chapter as a change of pace, with it being Horikita's POV and so that people would get a clue about how the school works. Also, I wanted to deepen the relationship between Ayanokouji and Manabu. I also wanted to give people more of a hint about Ryuen and Ayanokouji's relationship. Critique welcome.