Partner

"Maybe I rushed things. It's not like you can really know a person after just one date," Satou reasoned. She nodded as if having a conversation with herself. Frankly, such an honest confession had required a tremendous amount of courage on her part.

Amasawa POV

Right into a confession. What whiplash.

"You had a busy winter vacation Senpai."

He seemed lost in thought. I could guess what he was thinking about after the last event.

People were adjusting themselves right now. It was a weird scenario where she herself was reminded of an important moment in her life, but others couldn't muster up the emotions to really engage with it at the moment. It was much more personal, much more intimate than the shocking confrontation we saw right before.

Some of her friends started talking to her about it. Karuizawa-Senpai seemed like she wanted to, but couldn't do it. It made sense, she was the person who got together with Satou-Senpai's crush. Or she might have been also deep in thought, like Senpai.

"I might've missed out on my chance," I said quietly. I'd turned down a girl who was honest and brave. Some part of me felt like I was making a mistake. It was the part of me that wanted a fun, normal high school career, including finding a girlfriend. But I didn't say anything.

Because you needed to justify letting yourself be close to someone, so they had to be useful as well.

Someone like Karuizawa-Senpai. Well, this was based on what we have seen, so my opinion might have not been correct.

I didn't really know what I wanted from my high school life. I didn't know how much time I had left after all. I wasn't sure what would happen to me if I actually offered Senpai my help and they found out. Would they take me back right away somehow? That wasn't possible unless I dropped out, but that was not happening. So they had to wait until I was expelled, or more likely until I graduated. But I wasn't Senpai, they didn't desperately need me back.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I didn't know who was calling me, but I couldn't answer it right now.

Satou put the gift-wrapped box back into her bag.

"Thank you for everything today, Ayanokouji-kun."

She understood that my reply and feelings wouldn't change. Even if Satou liked me in this moment, she might not feel that way tomorrow. Maybe she'd find a new love. However, I'd never forget that Satou was the first to say she loved me.

"Is it...okay if I ask you to hang out again?" she asked.

"Of course. I had fun with you, Satou. I'd like to hang out, too." I really meant it.

That was like pouring salt on a wound. Satou-Senpai was just acting strong. But there wasn't another answer Senpai could even give. It was an attempt to return things to normal. If not now, then later on.

"Yeah." Satou nodded.

Even though the awkwardness was still there, things were rapidly returning to normal. The winter cold pierced through us.

"It's freezing. Should we head back?" I asked. We couldn't just stand around here forever. However, when I started to move, Satou remained firmly in place.

"Satou?" I looked back to see tears welling in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away with her arm and smiled at me.

"Sorry. I think I'll go on ahead!" With that, Satou ran through the snow, leaving me behind.