Listening to Sudo was a mistake as expected

There was a lot to do before the sports festival. Our physical education classes would be free periods from here on out, permitting students to practice however they wanted to.

Hirata submitted a request to the school and obtained a device for measuring grip strength, which he brought to our P.E. period the next day. In line with Horikita's plan, we would prioritize ability. Hirata's device was simple but should help. Quite a few of the boys' competitions would require pure power.

Ayanokouji POV

So Summer vacation is over. The school festival has begun. Looks like Kushida will have absolutely no chance of survival. Even if she were able to weasel out from her predicament somehow, it will be impossible the moment her involvement with Ryuuen is shown. The class will suffer a major blow though. She will undoubtedly decide to switch her deadman's drive so to say.  

"The school festival huh. I guess I will know why you decided to compete against Nii-san." Horikita tells me. 

"Maybe, maybe not." 

Horikita knowing why I did what I did is of no consequence. 

What is more concerning is the fact that the White Room will be mentioned. That time is inching closer and there is nothing I can do about it. Sometimes I need to let my hands off the wheel when I can't steer it anyway. 

"Okay, let's line up. How about we measure the grip strength of our dominant hand? I'll record the results. I borrowed two of these, so we can split up to save time."

Hirata handed the devices to the people standing at his left and right: Hondou and Yukimura. Sudou, who apparently didn't like that, snatched one device for himself.

"Let's start with me, Hirata. That'll set a high standard," he said. 

His logic didn't track, so he probably just wanted to showcase his own strength.

"Um... Well then, let's have Sotomura-kun stand next to you and take his measurement simultaneously, Sudou-kun," replied Hirata.

"Check it out, Ayanokouji. This is what a real man looks like. Uruah!" said Sudou, with a suitable bellow.

I still don't truly get what he was trying to do there. Did he mention me specifically to intimidate me? Or was it just a general feeling of inadequacy because I was seemingly close to Horikita? 

His shoulders shook while he tightly gripped the device in his right hand. The numbers on the digital readout shot up rapidly. In an instant they climbed to 50, then 60, then over 70. In the end, the number on the digital display was 82.4 kilograms. Everyone around us went crazy.

"That is still very impressive Sudo-Kun," says Yosuke. 

There is an awkward feeling in our class because of the whole situation with Sudo. Yosuke is using his immense influence to dispel this atmosphere. People can't really ignore Sudo when Yosuke is the one talking with him. 

"Thank you, Hirata." Sudo looks really grateful.

From his expression and body language, he seemed to be in very deep thought. 

I look at Horikita. She seems to understand what I want from her. 

"Indeed Sudo-Kun, that score is exceptional," She says.

Even if she has forgiven him, her talking to him as if nothing happened is pretty shocking in the class, especially for the girls. 

"Horikita-san, how can you just talk with him like everything is normal?" Asks Airi.