Winning is everything

Shortly afterward, her energy was spent, and Horikita lost consciousness again.

So this is the video. My preparations are complete, I just have to nudge everyone in the right directions. With my history in peoples minds and support from key people, it should go as I envision.

"What is happening to Suzune here? Is this during the special exam?" Sudo is of course concerned.

"I was sick during the exam. I tried to do more than my body could handle and in the end, Ayanokouji-kun had to take care of me."Nice answer.

People now understand the situation, but from some peoples faces, they look confused. Probably thinking about the results. If Horikta was like this, she certainly could not have executed some masterful strategy.

 I had to carry her without anyone noticing. It would be easy to have her retire, but I didn't know which button on the wristwatch was for emergencies. Besides, if the helicopter were suddenly dispatched, the sound would reverberate in the area.

"Hmm... Did I pick the wrong path? Oh no, oh no!"

My route had ended in a steep, sheer slope. If I took one step further, I would fall. I tried shining a light below to see what it looked like about ten meters down. Unfortunately, I'd been walking in the wrong direction. Should I go back to the original route?I tried to change direction slowly, so as not to burden Horikita, but then right after...

The soil underneath me collapsed, and I lost my balance. Alone, I could have braced my legs and grasped the tree, but unfortunately, both ofmy hands were occupied. I couldn't avoid falling. I curled up into a ball so I could protect Horikita as we went tumbling down the slope. For several seconds, it was like flying. I don't remember very clearly what happened afterward. At least Horikita hadn't been hurt, somehow. I looked up the slope, but with the way things were now, it didn't seem like I could crawl back up while carrying Horikita.

"Well, I sure messed up."

"Well this is a surprise. Never imagined you would be so clumsy." Ryuen, this will be a troublesome situation to deal with, no need for your sarcastic commentary.

"Everyone has their deficits." That is true. Even I mess up, I am not perfect. Ryuen will probably love what I am about to say. Tch, I just want what I say to be heard at this point. The suspense is making me a bit stressed.

"Not everyone Ayanokouji-boy! An existence such as I does not." Koenji says. Everyone just looks at him, to used to it to comment. It is nothing surprising after all.

However, this wasn't the time to accept defeat and die. Carrying the unconscious Horikita on my back, I ventured into the pitch-dark forest with asingle flashlight. The rain poured down on us, mercilessly robbing me of my physical strength. More than anything else, the heat radiating from Horikita wasn't normal.

 If she were exposed to the rain for any longer, it would become dangerous.However, we were deep in the forest. There were no caves or manmade shelters. We had no choice but to rely on the power of nature.Fortunately, the trees were lush and overgrown, and their branches might keep our bodies relatively dry. I looked around the area, found a remarkably big tree, and moved right under it. Of course, it didn't block the rain completely, but the overgrown leaves did stop a lot of the rainfall.

I gently laid Horikita down. Her jersey was probably going to get dirty,but we had bigger problems now. I sat there, with Horikita's head in my lap. If only the area were cool... But the temperature was so high, hot and humid.Horikita occasionally trembled, like she was trying to curl into a ball.Trying to lessen her burden even a little, I held Horikita close to my chest. After some time had passed, Horikita woke up, sputtering out ragged breaths. Still in a daze, Horikita wasn't able to understand our situation.