Cutting strings

Matsushita POV

Ayanokouji-Kun's father was absolutely terrifying. He put his own son into some type of facility where children were pushed to their absolute limits. 

"Ayanokouji. Don't worry, I won't expel you, even I have limits. But knowing where you are from, I have the need to face off and beat you. Not even Horikita-Senpai made me feel this way. If you are as amazing as it seems, it will be the greatest challenge of my life." Proclaimed Nagumo-Senpai. 

Everyone's thoughts were cut off after such a declaration. It was such a horrible thing, even Nagumo-Senpai wouldn't want to put Ayanokouji-Kun back into such a situation. 

Ayanokouji-Kun turned to him. 

"President Nagumo, I respect you as an opponent and what you have achieved. So give it your all and try to defeat me. Maybe you will succeed where all have failed." Ayanokouij-Kun's eyes bore into Nagumo-Senpai's. 

His body language screamed confidence. Before, even when people were praising him or he knew we were witnessing incredible things he has done, he would pathetically answer and mostly stay modest. Now, that was gone and only the self-assuredness and confidence were left. 

Nagumo-Senpai grinned, his face was full of malice. 

People didn't expect the challenge or the answer. 

Ayanokouji POV

If President Nagumo wasn't going to try and expel me, I was inclined to accept his challenge. I didn't have the choice to not accept it, but I respected him enough to return his challenge. 

"President Nagumo. Let's make a deal. Let it all happen in the next exam. Who wins, is superior over the other. Win or lose, let me enjoy my freedom." 

It was time to put him on the spot. He would have annoyed me the whole time he was in school. I didn't want people to see this, but it was an opportunity that I could seize to deal with him. If he won't leave me alone after this exam, every single person here would be against him. He neither wanted to nor could deal with that. 

"Deal. Whoever gets first place wins." President Nagumo answered. 

From his eyes, he understood what move I just pulled, but he couldn't do much about it. Other people from my year challenging our class is one thing, him butting in just to challenge a person with my background is completely different. He had one chance to beat me. 

"Haha! How amusing. Do you think you will get first place?  X-Kun may have a chance, but you saying like that is laughable."

"God, shut your mouth, you weirdo. I'm gonna enjoy wiping that smirk off your face at the very least." 

"Dreaming big is good, but fantasies stay fantasies for a reason." 

Koenji started brushing his hair. That looked to be over.

Kei looked at me with sad eyes. So I was right. 

I recalled her guessing my situation with uncanny accuracy. Yes, you were. 

Kiyotaka I- There was no need for her to be this sad. I was laying it on thick for other people, but there is no need to do so here. 

Kei, I am who I am because of what happened to me. I wouldn't change it. And In the end, that road had me meet you, didn't it? She looked conflicted. 

Still, what happened to you was absolutely inhumane. Especially because it happened because of your father. Her face changed to one of anger.