Chapter Three

Joan's first thought was to confront the man. Who was he and how the hell did he get in her study? But something made her stay quiet as the he came forward, confident and at ease. He had a strange aura about him, powerful and evil. The man seemed to be only a year or two older than her, with long jet-black hair cascading down his shoulders, tied together loosely. His pale, handsome face bore a slight smirk as he surveyed her. But the most menacing yet alluring thing about him were his eyes. Darker than the blackest of nights, they seemed to burrow into her soul. They had no emotion in them, just raw power. No human could every have eyes like those.

"Were you the one to summon me, mortal?" His voice was soft, almost playful, yet intimidating nevertheless.

Joan quickly straightened her composure, her momentary surprised and suspicious expression turning into a blank,bore done. Inside, she felt a jolt of thrill. It had worked. She had actually summoned a demon,although she had not expected him to appear to her in human form. She couldn't have been more pleased. However, she hid her joy, meeting the demon's unsettling gaze without wavering.

"Yes demon." She said, her voice taking on a steely tone. "I wish to make a deal with you."

The demon chuckled darkly and began circling around her like a predator, his long black cloak trailing behind him. As he did, all except one candle flickered and went out until the whole study was engulfed in darkness. The demon stopped next to Joan, standing close to the girl.

"Are you sure little mortal?" He whispered in her ear. "You shouldn't be meddling with forces you know not of. "

Joan titled her head ever so slightly and once more locked gazes with the demon. "Do not try to advise me ." Her voice was crisp and cold. "Play the role you are appointed and no more. I hope I've made that clear."

The demon continued to chuckle, sliding away gracefully. "As you wish." He said with mock politeness, a malicious glint in his eyes.

"To business then." Joan said, her arms crossing over her chest. "I require your services for certain tasks. "

"Such as?" The demon asked.

"There are a few people I wish to extract revenge upon. To be more precise, your task will be to find and kill them. You will also carry out all orders I give you while you are in my service,and you shall protect me from any harm. As payment, you are free to devour the souls of those you kill...as well as my own."

The demon's eyes were suddenly alive with excitement and hunger. Joan knew well enough a demon's hunger for human souls. When a soul was devoured by a demon, it would become its permanent servant, not only serving it, but strengthen it as well. The more corrupt the soul, the more powerful the demon became.

There was a pause as the demon cocked his head to one side, as if listening to an invisible speaker, before he turned his cold eyes on her again. "I will accept this deal. However there is a slight change you shall make to the terms." He paused, as if waiting for Joan to object, but she remained silent, waiting almost politely for him to continue.

"Rather than trading your soul to me, you will give it to my Master. The souls of your enemies however will be mine."

Joan's face contorted slightly,a mixture of annoyance and surprise registering on her face. The Devil wanted her soul? What could she possibly have that would interest the Devil?

Alarm bells had gone off in Joan's head,but at such a crucial point,where the demon was waiting to hear her answer,she knew she had to ignore them. It did not matter who she sold her soul to,the end result would be the same. She wanted her revenge,nothing else mattered. She had nothing left to live for but that.

"Fine." Joan said at last with a slight scowl.

"Let us proceed then." The demon said and drew two items from the darkness; a dagger and a piece of parchment. "Sign your name on this with your blood. As part of the contract, you shall give a fraction of your soul to my Master once your name is signed and the deal sealed."

The parchment and dagger floated towards her and she took both in her hands. Joan stared at the paper momentarily before moving to the desk. Imprinted on the parchment were the  contents of the deal. Everything was as she had requested, yet the feeling of suspicion lingered. Once more,she ignored it and  laid the paper on the table and reached for the knife. She held the cold blade against her skin. Then, with a quick flick of her wrist, she made a deep incision. A sudden bolt of pain ran up her arm and Joan bit down on her lip. The demon was watching her closely with amusement and she made her she kept her face straight. She would never show weakness in front of such a vile creature.

Joan watched as in the dim light of the single candle, a dark spurt of blood oozed from her forearm. It dripped down the sides, splashing onto the table. Joan reached for a quill with her other hand and dipped the tip in her blood, then with a flourish, signed her name on the paper. It shone brightly against the wrinkled yellow of the parchment. As soon as she was done, the paper dissolved into thin air, as did the knife. Joan looked down and saw no trace of blood. Her wound was no more. In its place however was a black tattoo, a star enclosed in a circle. As she watched, a strange symbol appeared in the middle of the circle and star, as if it had risen from her pale flesh.

The mark was the Devil's symbol, showing that the contract had been made. Her soul now belonged to the Devil and she was forever damned. The gates of heaven- if there really was one such place-were now closed to her. But Joan was not bothered by all this. She had asked for this,she deserved this.

She turned to the demon, who was smirking in the semi darkness. "The deal has been made."  He said,bowing. "And I, Avander, will be in your service."